• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Just got a naked Opteron 165, need advice/tips

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Gregory_WE

I'm doing some upgrades and I just bought a naked (IHS removed) Opteron 165. I also bought an Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 Pro to cool it.

I'm worried that I could damage the core, so do any of you have any tips for the installation of the heatsink ontop of it?

I've never had an IHS-less CPU before, so any advice is welcome. For example, I'm pretty sure that when I apply the AS5 onto the CPU I will use say a credit card to spread it out evenly and thinly onto the core, instead of just a little dab onto the IHS like before, right?

Thanks

Find an old northbridge heatsink and use the square foam thing to pad the area aroudn the core. Alternatively you can use some cushy packing dot things.

I saw somebody mention that using the clip type fastener can crush the core and to only use screw down type heat sinks. I know my old athlon didn't have a IHS and had a clip to hold the heat sink in place so not sure how accurate that is. Anyone else know the facts on this?

Some type of foam surround is good to keep it level though.

Am I going to have to shave down part of the mounting bracket on the mobo?

Also, the person I bought it from included 2 cardboard shims (rectangular shaped). Should I just put one around the outside of the core for when I put the heatsink on? Do I need to use any sort of adhesive or can it stay there on its own alright?

People say only to use the screw down for 2 reasons one it is safer but if you are used to putting hsf on sockets A's I dont think you will find it that hard . The seconds reason I can think of is that with a non screw down hsf it might not be as tight as it should be cause the extra height of the ihs isnt there .
I had a 3200+ naked under a x90 and if i had plan on running it like that i would have made it a tighter fit put it was just a quick test to see if it still worked after taking the ihs off =)

If you are using a clip style HSF on a naked A64 you need to either shave down the mounting bracket on the mobo the thinkness of the IHS material or shim the piviot point on the HSF with something the same thickness as the IHS. You could cut a piece of the IHS to make the shim.

Immortal_Hero said:
If you are using a clip style HSF on a naked A64 you need to either shave down the mounting bracket on the mobo the thinkness of the IHS material or shim the piviot point on the HSF with something the same thickness as the IHS. You could cut a piece of the IHS to make the shim.

The good news is with the AC Freezer 64, you won't need to since the base is the same size as a A64 IHS. The bad news is that if you were to use the
Freezer64 on a naked A64, there will be almost no pressure on the core.

I had to put the IHS back on mines. If you don't have a IHS or know someone who has an extra one, I would buy a screw down type heatsink.

I do have the IHS. How should I reattach it though?

Would it be ok to just put some AS5 on the core and then put the IHS ontop of it and then the heatsink ontop of that, without any adhesive? Or, what about arctic alumina?

Last edited:
I pretty much followed this guide: http://www.google.com/translate?u=h...cm.php?newsid=77&langpair=fr|en&hl=en&ie=UTF8

People say to use any type of silicon adhesive, I used aquarium sealant. Remember not to completely seal the IHS on. AMD left a little opening for the core to breathe (no idea what effect it has).

I used a C clamp to hold the IHS together and let the silicon cure overnight. Just make sure to protect the pins with something like that foam/padding CPUs ships with (squish the pins into the foam). Some people just used their heatsink to clamp them together, though you shouldn't do it this way with the Freezer64 (the Freezer64 will move slightly when locking the lever into place and your IHS won't be centered).

hmm not sure if I want to go through all of that, plus I don't happen to have any sort of adhesive with me.

But you think that I definitely need to reattach the IHS or have an IHS on the chip for it to work right with the Freezer 64 Pro?

Do you think having the IHS just sitting there but not glued to the chip would be ok (just have some AS5 between the core and the IHS), and then have the heatsink's weight/force keeping it in place?

Gregory_WE said:
But you think that I definitely need to reattach the IHS or have an IHS on the chip for it to work right with the Freezer 64 Pro?

You most definitely need the IHS on when using the Freezer64. When I attached my Freezer 64 to my naked 165, there was almost no pressure. It kept the processor cool while my PC was laying on it's side. But once I stood my PC case up right, it immediately shut off due to high temps.

Do you think having the IHS just sitting there but not glued to the chip would be ok (just have some AS5 between the core and the IHS), and then have the heatsinks weight/force keeping it in place?

Yes I've done it that way and it worked fine. Other people have been doing it that way also. Just remember that when installing the Freezer 64, it will move slightly to the left (opposite side of the lever) when pushing the lever into place. So keep an eye on that.

Sorry it took long to reply, OCforums is acting up.

Thanks for the help, I think I'll attempt to place the IHS between the core and the heatsink without any adhesive to stick it there and see how it works.

I'll probably be able to test it out Monday, so we'll see.

AS5 on a naked core? Be very careful with it ...

Arctic Silver webpage said:
(While much safer than electrically conductive silver and copper greases, Arctic Silver 5 should be kept away from electrical traces, pins, and leads. While it is not electrically conductive, the compound is very slightly capacitive and could potentially cause problems if it bridges two close-proximity electrical paths.)

It's not really too different from applying it to Athlon XPs is it? You just put a very thin layer over the core itself.

Same principle, don't get it on any contacts. I guess I'm just not comfortable using that on anything but an IHS.
IMO - Ceramique isn't much of a down-grade and it's 100% safe ...

Back