• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dual boot woes

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Misfit138

Using 2 SATA drives, sda, sdb. sda is windows, sdb is where I'm trying to put Linux. I am trying to install LILO to /dev/sdb
At the end of the Install wizard, I get this error.

Installation of bootloader failed. The following error occurred Warning /proc/partitions does not exist.
disk scan bypassed. Fatal BIOS device code 0x80 is being used by two disks /dev/sdb (0x0810) and /dev/sda 0x0800)

If I install LILo to sda, (windows drive) I can't load Windows...I just get a flashing cursor, and have to fixmbr through the recovery console.
Any ideas?
Thanks

if you install LILO to sda, are you able to boot into linux and not windows or not able to boot into anything? If you are able to get into linux then you just need the right entry for windows in your lilo.conf (or whatever it is) file. If that's not the case then i don't know as I've only ever booted both os'es off the same drive.

Did you try to get Windows fully installed on one HDD and have it working? If not I suggest installing Windows on that harddrive first. Once it's working install Linux on the second one.

Or are the HDDs on raid and you're trying to install both on different partitions?

archangelgabe said:
Did you try to get Windows fully installed on one HDD and have it working? If not I suggest installing Windows on that harddrive first. Once it's working install Linux on the second one.

Or are the HDDs on raid and you're trying to install both on different partitions?

WIndows is fully installed, working fine, Linux install is secondary. (I always install Windows first, then Linux on dual boot..just easier for me.)
sda is SATA drive 1 (
sdb is SATA drive 2

I'll try tinkering with it again tonight.

Back