• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

is this OS good?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
tspier2 said:
Fedora is horrible. It's the slowest and most-bloated distribution of Linux I have ever used. To suffice, I haven't used it for 1.5 years now, because of that. Use Slackware. :)

of course it is, because they are trying to make it "like" windows, in the sense of having everything someone needs in it, and i find it amusing how Windows get's bashed for being so bloated, and now Linux is finding out if it wants to compete on the desktop market for joe blow, then it too will be bloated and slower.

Mr.Guvernment said:
of course it is, because they are trying to make it "like" windows, in the sense of having everything someone needs in it, and i find it amusing how Windows get's bashed for being so bloated, and now Linux is finding out if it wants to compete on the desktop market for joe blow, then it too will be bloated and slower.

I find that after a few minor tweaks, Windows XP can be streamlined quite significantly, resembling Win 2k, with a few perks, in a short period of time. I actually think XP is a tough OS to top for the desktop, for 90% of PC users. Although I love Linux, it is still quite esoteric in nature (some distros seem to like it this way) and remains out of the realm of the everyday PC user.
I truly hope Linux continues to improve in every way, not just for techies and not just for Windows migrants, but for everyone.
Myself, I like newbie distros (PCLinuxOS, Kanotix, Ubuntu) because the more stripped Distros I have tried just take too long to learn how to configure. Don't get me wrong, I love Debian and Slack, and Gentoo seems really cool to compile from source, but I find that at a certain point the time invested in memorizing packages (or researching to find which ones i need) for general stuff or multimedia purposes alone is not worth it in the end. If I worked in an IT position, and used it everyday, it would be a blast I am sure.
It seems to me that the main distros are used and loved by more IT oriented folks, and cater to them, and the newbie distros are still trying to cater to Windows-desktop replacement by offering a more intuitive and GUI-driven experience.
I suppose bloat is somewhat inevitable, since the GUI, being a visual, intuitive tool, is so universal in nature. It's what brought the PC into the living room of everyone on the planet.
I am sure that Arch, Slack, Gentoo and Debian among others will continue to be the more torch holding traditionalist distros, whereas the "desktop distros" will keep trying to improve by bringing Linux to the "average" user. I think this is good for everyone.
just my $.02, not that you asked :p

Last edited:
Mr.Guvernment said:

well, joe blow consumer doesn't know what bloat is. All that complaining was by the "power users." Personally, I love using Blackbox/fluxbox as my windowmanager, but I also enjoy stepping in to KDE, Gnome, or XFCE every once in a while for the "more complete" desktop experience. XFCE still feels pretty lean, but KDE and Gnome still show their bloat to me after using them for a while. After a while, "features" start turning in to bloat, but "features" are what Joe Blow consumer needs to lure him away from his current OS.

one of the things I like best about BSD's is that FreeBSD ports and NetBSD's pkgsrc allow you to install binary packages or compile the package for yourself (i think openbsd has something similar, but I'm not exactly sure because i've never used it). I think that gentoo is starting to provide binary packages for programs that take longer to compile. Using pkg_add is just as easy as apt-get.

I actively disrecommend Fedora Core 5 and 6. These people are crazy in my opinion, and have the communication skills of Joseph Stalin.

I have very good results with Ubuntu, except for the graphical partition manager screwing up every now and then during installs (even if it happens you can use the curses fdisk instead).

Personally I use FreeBSD and Debian, but quite honestly I think Ubuntu is better for a beginner for either and Ubuntu is surprisingly solid since 6.06.

Back