• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

is this OS good?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
just a tip- be specific.

Any os is 'good' in its own way. What are you plannin on doing?

as far as i can tell fedora core is designed to be easy to install and use, and covers a wide range of things..

Never ask generic questions, you'll only get generic answers.

Is fedora core X (version) good for _____

Fedora Core = LInux's attempted at a user friendly O/S

Do you know anything about linux? if not then no Linux OS will be 'good', but Fedora would be your best starting point for ease of use and installation.

From what little experience i had Fedora was as easy to install as windows.

I guess the "easy" part comes from once your in linux.... how well do you know your way around?

for fist time user I would reccomend Ubuntu as not only is it easy and newbie friendly but a great deal of people on these forums use it which makes advice easier to obtain

Fedora is horrible. It's the slowest and most-bloated distribution of Linux I have ever used. To suffice, I haven't used it for 1.5 years now, because of that. Use Slackware. :)

tspier2 said:
Fedora is horrible. It's the slowest and most-bloated distribution of Linux I have ever used. To suffice, I haven't used it for 1.5 years now, because of that. Use Slackware. :)

As someone who started on Slack, I dont think thats a good idea. This person is looking for an intro to linux, not a crash course. Slackware is rather advanced for a beginner.

Gnufsh said:
I suggest Kubuntu or Ubuntu as well, seems fairly easy (and good) to me. Plus, you can get cds shipped to you for free.
Without a doubt Ubuntu or Kubuntu ( same as Ubuntu, uses KDE). One easy distro for noobs (like me) and lots of help on the Net.
Edit: I haven't tried all the "flavors" yet, but there's a distro out there for everybody.

You might also like SimplyMepis, PCLinuxOS, Kanotix, Mint, Ark, Mandriva, or Zenwalk.
ALso, look into PC-BSD. ;)

EDIT: The latest Slack (11) was actually easy enough for me to install...but once I found out about the lack of dependency checking in the package manager, I left in a hurry! :p

I always love these threads...they always turn in to big list of distros. From personal experience, you will probably try 2 or 3 distro's before you settle on one to keep, even then you might keep trying out different distros. I have never used Fedora, but I did use Red Hat before they broke off in to Enterprise and Fedora. I have never used Ubuntu, but I have used Debian.

First of all, I wouldn't download the DVD. Most distros have a "minimal" cd, or at least only require you to download the first cd image to begin the installation. Then you can select "net install" or "install from ftp" and it will grab all the necessary files as it needs them. I usually do that so I can use one CD-RW and keep overwriting it as I decide to change distros.

As for where to start, Fedora or Ubuntu will be good. Then I would probably move on to Debian (ubuntu is based on Debian). Then you might feel adventurous enough to try Slackware or Gentoo.

I found Mandrake a really simple and easy to use linux distro if you're wanting to dabble in it, you can always progress to more advanced distros later on. That being said I (for some retarded reason) started on slackware and would not really recommend it.

My votes are for Ubuntu, Kubuntu or Mandrake (i think its called Mandirva or something now).

i just did an install of debian etch...what will soon be debian 4.0...and it was great. has a gui install and is easy as pie. And when you are done, you get dropped right in to gnome. I'd definitely suggest this for a beginner.

splat said:
i just did an install of debian etch...what will soon be debian 4.0...and it was great. has a gui install and is easy as pie. And when you are done, you get dropped right in to gnome. I'd definitely suggest this for a beginner.

debian has a gui install?

yeah, in Etch, the testing version. I think mostly I was pleased with how it handled the partitioning and formating...very nice.

You know, I really loved using Debian for a lot of reasons. It was fast, the net install cd(which I used) was really terrific to learn some basics. It drops you into a command line, but cfdisk is easy enough, and it basically asks the right questions. Slackware 11 was even easier to set up, and maybe even a bit faster once installed.
I'd still be using either Slack or Debian, but they're just too much of a pain to set up beyond the initial install. Slack's default package manager is too manual, and even though I love apt, Debian's stable packages are too old for my taste.
I guess I keep coming back to the Newbie distros because I can get them playing DVD's and streaming video in a couple hours rather than a few days.
I look forward to 4.0, though. Think I'll research the software versions included in etch to get an idea. :D

EDIT: etch looks sweet. Think I'll d/l and cook me up a netinstall image tonight! :p

Last edited:
of course, the first thing i did when i installed debian was get compiz running, which was an adventure to say the least. Definitely not going to be a good experience for the beginner, but definitely something worth shooting for.

Back