• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Microsoft Apparently Owns Linux

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Yes, I read a similar article elsewhere. I am sure we are all wondering how this will turn out. My initial impetus for trying linux was because of my distate for MS. I am sure that, being a large corporation, MS will pursue their typical course of action through legal means.
I just hope that when the chips fall, we can still be here using Linux.

The problem is that Steve Ballmer doesn't have the capacity for thought.

MS will try their usual strategy - try to work with the competitors, then try to destroy them once they have a foothold.

David said:
The problem is that Steve Ballmer doesn't have the capacity for thought.

MS will try their usual strategy - try to work with the competitors, then try to destroy them once they have a foothold.
Q...F....T

damarble said:
I don't get how M$ can own Linux? :shrug:

They are claiming that Linux is using intellectual property which belongs to MS. The question is, can they prove it, and will a court award them exclusive rights to it?

I think this smacks of a Trust right here. Microsoft probably won't get away with it. They are clearly trying to monopolize the PC operating system sector.

I wonder what exactly: NTFS support, the various MS media formats, WINE, or some code within the kernel.

Does this smell like SCO again or what?

kaltag said:
As we all know this worked out so well for SCO...
Well, since M$ can't buy Linux, their only alternative is to sue them--or at least people who use it, I suppose.

This adds to the proof that M$ fears Linux. It also adds fuel to the fire that Linux is, indeed, a worthy alternative to Windows. Otherwise, M$ wouldn't be giving Linux a second thought, let alone all the extra free press.

Like SCO, little Steven won't be able to produce a single line of code that Linux infringes upon. If they had, they would have been all over Linux AGES ago. What? You don't think that M$ hasn't already searched through every line of the completely public Linux code. They probably have search programs written to scan every letter in the hopes that something comes close to anything in M$'s bloatware O/S. If anything, M$ probably ripped off code out of Linux to put in Windows without giving proper credit.

Not that it would have mattered--Linux programmers would have banged out new code to work around any (M$ fantasy) infringement in about two days.

disk11 said:
I wonder what exactly: NTFS support, the various MS media formats, WINE, or some code within the kernel.

Does this smell like SCO again or what?

I believe the most likely thing balmer is talking about is mono, and while microsoft wants to make a huge issue out of it... well....... even if mono was in violation of microsoft patents the bottom line is that linux is open source, mono would simply be phased out something would be put in it's place to replace it.

What's the big deal?

Novell gave microsoft the ammunition to say this, novell signed their life away to microsoft (and they will most likely die because of it). basically saying to microsoft that mono may infringe and we will sell you our soul for you not to sue us.

I'd say it's probably highly likely that MS has some patent (bogus or otherwise), somewhere, that covers some aspect of the Linux kernel. Just based on the number of patents MS has, and the sheer stupidity of the patent office when it comes to software patents. Of course, enforcing these patents will be problematical as mbigna said - there are a lot of people who will put a lot of effort into working around the patent.

At best, MS can wave its patents around in a threatening manner at any large customer who is looking to change over to Linux. This would probably be quite effective if done in closed-door negotiations since noone wants to get into a legal fight with MS and the fixes would probably take longer than if MS started publically suing everyone.

Even as a long-term strategy it's quite effective, as all MS has to do is keep accumulating patents relating to current techniques/technologies such that they can always pull something out to threaten with.

SeasonalEclipse said:
Bye bye free OS's

If they are trying to nuke the Linux kernel then *BSD is still out there and works with most of the same apps.

If they are after a specific library or program then we will have to live without it, or replace it.

Oh, and I just wanted to get this little dig in before anyone else (at least I haven't seen it anywhere else yet):

Sounds like little Stevie B hired Al (I invented the internet) Gore as a consultant.

I couldnt have said this any better:

"Novell’s self-serving deal legitimizes Microsoft’s assault on Linux.

If successful, Microsoft will create a landscape in the Operating System market that consists of themselves and MS-approved ‘competitors’ which pay royalties to MS in perpetuity, all others are sued into oblivion. Regardless of the technical wording of the deal, and whether it can be established that Novell is violating the letter of the GPL 2, they are certainly violating its spirit, Novell must not be supported. "

This not only seems logical, but likely, in my estimation.

Back