• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PS3: Is RAM upgradable?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
consoles and upgrade

I have to laugh, no there is highly unlikely a chance that you can and that it will ever be allowed. No money to be made in freedom with consoles.

Jeez this thread is from 06.

Anyway, the ps3 really should have been made with a little more memory, I tried using the browser once, and it ran out of memory just watching 2 youtube videos, which is ridiculous.

If console developers wanted to extend the life of the machine I am sure it could be done, but there just isn't any money in that, at least I wouldn't think there would be. I am sure that software developers would like that idea though, since it would probably make their jobs easier.

The PS3 is fine with the amount of memory it has. Especially given your average console lifespan. I'm sure the PS3 will be AROUND for a total of ten years (like the PS2 before it), but people will already be playing the PS4 those last few years.

Until then the games need not LOOK better and better... It'd be much better for the gamers if the games just PLAYED better and better.

Talk about a thread necro...

I dont think they have anything like that possible. Pretty sure the software writers code around the fact the PS3 is light on ram and powerful with the Cell Technology. At least for the mainstream exclusive titles.

I am pretty sure the reason both systems were so light on the RAM was the whole price-fixing scam between the major retailers back in that timeframe. Ram was a hell of a lot more expensive back then.

Talk about a thread necro...

I dont think they have anything like that possible. Pretty sure the software writers code around the fact the PS3 is light on ram and powerful with the Cell Technology. At least for the mainstream exclusive titles.

I am pretty sure the reason both systems were so light on the RAM was the whole price-fixing scam between the major retailers back in that timeframe. Ram was a hell of a lot more expensive back then.

Ram is very unpredictable. It may be high again by the time the next Xbox and PS3 debut

They weren't really light on RAM at all, the 5th gen consoles had 2-4 MB of RAM, the 6th gen had 16-64 MB and the current gen [excluding the Wii] has 512 MB or 256 MB + 256 MB in the case of the PS3. It might not be much by PC standards but it is pretty much in line with previous generations.

The RAM to the PS3 is the same as every other console, firmly soldered onto the main PCB.
The PS3 has 256mb of GDDR3 and 256Mb of some form of DDR.

The 360 has 512mb of unified GDDR3 for both the CPU and GPU, and the GPU has a 10mb framebuffer.
The 10mb framebuffer is extremely useful and the 360's OS takes up about 22mb, vs the PS3's 90+mb OS.

The only console I know of that has expandable RAM is the N64...

The XMB now uses 70mb less than it used not sure what the total is now but last month they said to Kotaku that they have trimmed it by 70mb.

I read a few different articles now at Tom's Hardware talking about how much of an improvement people saw with upgrading the PS3 Hard-Drive to Solid State. Ram would be nice too...oh well.

I read a few different articles now at Tom's Hardware talking about how much of an improvement people saw with upgrading the PS3 Hard-Drive to Solid State. Ram would be nice too...oh well.

From all Ive heard the difference with solid state drive is insignificant due to the slowness of the bluray drive

For some reason the floppy drive on mine is painfully slow when it comes to load times.

Takes an hour and a half for Wolfenstein 3D to load *sigh*

A SSD would not really give you the best performance that you would get if it was used in a PC, the PS3 uses a SATA-150 onboard chip has from the start I very much doubt it would give you more performance than what a 7,200rpm drive would.

that expansion pack was the ram upgrade. it came with a game only i think...but what game was it....i can't remember. perfect dark? all i know is that i noticed almost no improvement on my n64.

Years late to the discussion, a game that I remember that included it was, 'Pokemon Stadium 2'

are you wondering how many different times its been necroed or the total age of the necro?

but yea...holy crap man

Back