• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

First time water cooling project

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mkorpal

Well, I've been running a thermalright 120 on my 6400 for a while. it's nice, but I can't really oc it very high. So, I found out the other day that I have 600 bucks that i forgot about. I think I might use some of it to upgrade my cooling. I'm only looking at cooling the cpu, since mu gpu has no problems with it's stock cooling (7900 GT ko). So, anyway, I have spent the past few days looking around at different parts and reading up on the subject, and this is what I have come up with. Please, if you have any suggestions, I would like to hear about it. The only part I'm not too sure about is the radiator.

Pump: Swiftech MCP655 $69.95 Jab-tech
Water Block: Swiftech APOGEE $45.95 Jab-tech
Reservoir: Swiftech MCRES-Micro $19.95 Preformance-PCS
Radiator: Black Ice Xtreme 2 $59.00 Prefomance-PCS
Hoses: ClearFlex 60 ½” 10ft $9.90 Jab-tech
Clamps: Steel Worm Drive $10.00 Home Depot (estimate)
Fans: YATE LOON 47cfm $7.98 Jab-tech
Additives: Swiftech HydrX Coolant $1.99 Performance-PCS
Total: Before Shipping $224.72

Also, if anyone has a place that I can find these for a cheaper price, that would be nice. I'm still not sure if I will go through with this, because I don't have a ton of money, and the 600 bucks I found would be better used for tuition, but If I do decide to do it, this is what I will do. Thanks.

dang... how do you "forget" that you have $600 just sitting around? =)

The gear you chose is very good and I think the prices are right around as god as you're going to find... have fun building the rig!

nice!

Looks like a beatiful rig in the making, but don't forget to measure the case for placement of parts. Also, with a set up that beastly, you should definetely go for a gpu/chipset block.

Thanks for the suggestions.
SiGfever, Thanks for the link to the fans.
4od, I might add a gpu block later, but right now I won't. I don't want to spend too much right now. Plus, I have a first gen 7900 gt that is working, so I don't plan on ocing my gpu any time soon.
||Console||, I'll look up T-bolt clamps when I start building this thing.

I'll probably need to drop by later to get help on figuring out how to get it all rigged. My case is a pos, with not a ton of room to maneuver

my suggestions would be skip that rad and get a thermochill 120.2, top performer

and skip the RES and go T-line. Res takes up to much room and is a paint to position, go with a T :)

I had a rez and took it out i hear it hurt flow , and yes Tlines save monney 2 =) just takes way longer to blead

this is what i mean by tbolt there are a few different types http://www.breezeclamps.com/tbolt.htm , I just find these better cause Worm clams dig into the tubs a bit .

I've heard that reservoirs hurt flow, but i don't believe a word of it. As long as your pump is below your reservoir, you should be fine (you want your pump to pushing, not sucking)<- no pun intended

Meh, best clamps out there are these from Home Depot.

TubingClamps.jpg

Spring clamps (including the ones made of wire) are better because they do not depend on the elasticity of the tubing to keep their clamping force.
They keep a constant grip on the tube even after it shrinks under the pressure of the clamp (which all tubes will).

Oh, one more thing, you'll need more than one fan for a dual fan radiator ;)

Back