• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

uplash problem after Kubuntu upgrade

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Gnufsh

I just upgraded the Kubuntu install on my laptop from 6.06 to 6.10, and now usplash doesn't seem to be working correctly. From the time I select a kernel from the grub menu to the time X loads, all I see on the screen is a blinking cursor. How can I get my bootsplash back? I tried removing usplash and the artwork and re-installing, but it didn't help.

does the upgrade include upgrading the kernel? double check that the options for a bootsplash are selected, and make sure your grub/lilo config is pointing to the correct files. Tho, it sounds like it is trying to use a bootsplash by only displaying a blinking cursor, but maybe the file it needs is missing or corrupt. I'm not 100% sure since i've never used ubuntu specifically, but hopefully that gives you some ideas for what to look for.

It did include upgrading the kernel, but not compileing it, so there are no options to select. I think grub is pointing to the correct files, but I'll check again. I kept the old kernel, and it has the same problem, so I'm thinking it's a problem with the userspace app, not the kernel.

yeah, like i said, the blank screen says to me that it's trying but can't find the file. Maybe the update moved the splash image? That's all I can think of.

text and splash doesn’t after upgrade to edgy

Solution

Open your GRUB configuration file using the following command

sudo gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst

and try to change the values recommended here

no text status messages in ubuntu edgy 6.10 splash screen

After upgrading from ubuntu 6.06 to ubuntu 6.10, usplash stopped working, Ubuntu started displaying a blank screen during startup and shutdown.

Solution

Edgy disabled the status messages in Usplash, but you can get them back easily using the following commands. First, open your menu.lst

gksudo gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst

Now you remove any mention of “quiet” from the file. You should get the messages again next time you boot.

Found it in this article. may be of some use.

Removing quiet doesn't help, nor does adding vga=791 (it gives me an error saying that I passed an undefined mode number). The initrd line points to the right file, and it exists.

Back