• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Finally Hoped on Board!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jcw122

Finally got Linux running, not on my main, but on our family computer.

Running Ubuntu 6.06!

So far, I got FF2, XMMS, and Audacity installed all by myself. It's really not that difficult either :santa: Even burned a CD!!

My only problem w/ it so far is the feeling of a cluttered desktop, I don't know why, but it just feels more difficult to maneuver about with multiple windows up, compared to WinXP.

Now I just need to figure out how to get F@H installed properly (messed it up the first try).

How do you guys know I'm on GNOME? I had the impression I was on KDE, but honestly I had no idea.

How can I change over to KDE?

gnome is the default desktop for ubuntu, kde is the default desktop for kubuntu.
both are the same os just one runs kde and one runs gonme.

to install kde simply go to a command line and type
sudo apt-get update

then type
sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop

now go have a beer and watch your favorite episode of seinfeld because it will take a little while for all the packages to download and install.

note, I am sure this can all be done with adept (the package manager) but i am not very familiar with it, adept is simply a front end to apt (the command line package manager)

Last edited:
OSGentoo said:
gnome is the default desktop for ubuntu, kde is the default desktop for kubuntu.
both are the same os just one runs kde and one runs gonme.

to install kde simply go to a command line and type
sudo apt-get update

then type
sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop

now go have a beer and watch your favorite episode of seinfeld because it will take a little while for all the packages to download and install.

note, I am sure this can all be done with adept (the package manager) but i am not very familiar with it, adept is simply a front end to apt (the command line package manager)

By adept, you mean Synaptic.

jcw122 said:
My only problem w/ it so far is the feeling of a cluttered desktop, I don't know why, but it just feels more difficult to maneuver about with multiple windows up, compared to WinXP.

You realise you have multiple desktops?
I've always found linux to be less cluttered than windows. Though if your doing everything on one desktop, that might be a different story.

Maybe it's just the way I organize things...

Thanks OSgentoo, I'll try that in a moment.

Sir. BOBSONATOR said:
Lol, you Hopped on the wrong version!

Try updating to the latest, Edgy Eft, 6.10.

There is a thread in the Ubuntu Forums with a VERY explicit warning to using 6.10. http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=286209

That thread convinced me that it may not be worth it yet. I also heard that Edgy Eft is technically still Beta.

Misfit138 said:
Hey jcw, long time no see! Good to have you around again.

Hey Misfit, your the guy who got into PCLinuxOS right? How's linux going for you?

cloim said:
You realise you have multiple desktops?
I've always found linux to be less cluttered than windows. Though if your doing everything on one desktop, that might be a different story.

Maybe it's just the way I organize things...

I do realize that, although I haven't used it much yet. Even so, just soemthing about the GNOME interface makes everything feel like it's mashed together. The similar patterns and colors, as well as seemingly flat window boxes, make this effect, IMO at least.

jcw122 said:
Hey Misfit, your the guy who got into PCLinuxOS right? How's linux going for you?

PCLinuxOS has been great, but Arch is even better for me. Now that I've tried Arch, everything else seems lacking.

Glad to see you.

LOL oops, this thread made me realize I forgot to go check on the KDE installing (I did it like last night, kinda forgot hehe)

OK I installed KDE, but nothing looks different, may be a performance upgrade, that's it. What's up?

jcw122 said:
OK I installed KDE, but nothing looks different, may be a performance upgrade, that's it. What's up?

Log out. Then log back in. It's installed, but your not using it yet.

If using a graphical login, you may need to tell it what window manager to use. Should be an option "select session" or simillar.

If *not using a graphical login, it's a little more complicated, and I'm not the person to ask.

cloim said:
Log out. Then log back in. It's installed, but your not using it yet.

If using a graphical login, you may need to tell it what window manager to use. Should be an option "select session" or simillar.

If *not using a graphical login, it's a little more complicated, and I'm not the person to ask.

Thanks that worked :santa:

Back