• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I need help naming my kids!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

@md0Cer

DSCF0965.jpg

Yep, I scored 2 19inch Dell Trinitron P991's off of craigslist for 50 bucks.

I love these monitors, they are my babies, I gotta name them.

This originally started as a joke between a friend and I, and I am actually almost serious about naming my hardware now!!! :D

I might name each monitor, my Logitech MX1000 and my computer.

Here are the characteristics (personalities almost?) of them all:

Monitor number 1: Has a well known defect that over time affects the 19 and 21 inch Trinitron CRT's, where they are overly bright even with brightness settings low, or have too much of a contrast. In other words with brightness at about 30-40 true blacks are more like purple. at 15 or below the black is super crisp black (couldn't be blacker) yet icons and anything non-black still shines vibrantly (for gaming I have to turn it up to 30ish or so though)

Monitor number 2: The way a normal CRT should be, has less contrast, and sometimes goes blurry and I have to turn it off for a few minutes, but that only happens very rarely

MX1000: Custom painted with a casually brushed on application of blue UV paint then with a shiny coat of clear coat on top for an almost mirrorlike finish. He/She sometimes glitches out every now and then and feels unsmooth, and sometimes the mouse button keeps sending the "clicked" signal even though I have released it.

Anyway, if anyone just for kicks wants to help me name my hardware, go for it! :cool:

EDIT: They can be male or female names.

LOL! Nice one! In fact, being 2 inches away from these 8 hours a day, my brain will probably turn to mush. :D Anyone else?

lol, i got two 19" sylvania, only a name for one, i call it fishbowl because it looks like one, the other is flat and doesn't give me a hard time so i don't make fun of it. i named my computer 'oni' which is japanese for ogre because its big, heavy and slightly hideous thanks to years of watercooling mutilation.

how about you name them after say TV char. from your favorite show? when my fish were alive, i named them after 'Lost' cast members, but then jack was the first to die, so it didn't work out to well...

Korndog said:
lol, i got two 19" sylvania, only a name for one, i call it fishbowl because it looks like one, the other is flat and doesn't give me a hard time so i don't make fun of it. i named my computer 'oni' which is japanese for ogre because its big, heavy and slightly hideous thanks to years of watercooling mutilation.

how about you name them after say TV char. from your favorite show? when my fish were alive, i named them after 'Lost' cast members, but then jack was the first to die, so it didn't work out to well...

Oh cool, I watch lost. Hmm I am still thinking. For some reason the names Bernie and Amanda just came to mind. Where they came from, I have absolutely no clue lol.

I dont know what to call them but thanks for the idea of craigslist , I got emails out to a few peeps on some 19" LCDs and 2 21" crts .

well now that I think about it I would name them Lucille and Jasmine or Pam and Tiffany , Jennifer and Angolina .

Adragontattoo said:
Yeah, Pantry since that seems to be where your puter is sitting.

Lol, so true. How about threadjacker? j/k :)

Maybe..Dell and Schmell. Haha. :p

EDIT: BTW, is that a Chenming/Chieftec 901AD case that I spy? I plan on picking one of those up fairly soon (within the next 3 weeks) for a gradually building watercooling setup. How do you like it?

Midnight Dream said:
I noticed, you have the same HTS as I do. Got mine from my my girlfriends parents as a birthday gift.

Oh nice, I got mine for free from a freind who was moving. What do you think of yours? It is a nice little system, however it has too much static and background noise to leave it on when I am not really listening to much.

Once you are playing music or something and crank that sucker up it is pretty hard to notice though.

I have mine hooked up via a stereo splitter cable to my computer. Running the surround sound decoder worked great in XP, I just went to the volume mixer and could control it with the "surround" and "3d depth" sliders. Unfortunatly Vista doesn't have that and im locked into stereo.

@md0Cer said:
Oh nice, I got mine for free from a freind who was moving. What do you think of yours? It is a nice little system, however it has too much static and background noise to leave it on when I am not really listening to much.

Once you are playing music or something and crank that sucker up it is pretty hard to notice though.

I have mine hooked up via a stereo splitter cable to my computer. Running the surround sound decoder worked great in XP, I just went to the volume mixer and could control it with the "surround" and "3d depth" sliders. Unfortunatly Vista doesn't have that and im locked into stereo.

I don't have any static or anything of the sort, but i'm connected via SPDIF with Monster RCA Cables. Mine stays on 24/7, and the sound is excellent.

Back