• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What's your connection speed? Test and link!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Heres a FIOS ordering *hint , try and order online (print all things out) or have/keep a mailed flyer with recent sales deal (dont loose it or throw it out later , keep it!) vs ordering over the phone . Over the
"phone quotes" do not hold up well and most of the time Its to hard to prove what "package pricing" was quoted . Ordering over the phone is a pure nightmare later down road ,its hard to clear up/correct your bill and FIOS package without solid proof . Even with online ordering its not perfect but , its a 95% better way to get the "correct" pricing and package .

Verison/FIOS has soooo many different regional/state deals going at any given time (and changing very frequently) they (the service reps) honestly dont know whats going on at all on thier end ( quoted from multiple service reps , over the years)

Also to note , after your contract is up , its no fun trying to get ANY type of better deal for "existing customers" ; you'll be lucky to get the same price/packaging next contract . Existing or continued FIOS customers get the worst pricing ,year after year .

I know this all sounds like Iam bad mouthing FIOS (and Iam doing so from my and others experience) , but after 15+ years with Verizon/FIOS its hard not to warn new potential customers of what to expect .

Bottom line , just be careful and smart when ordering ! Enjoy being a "new customer " (really and sincerely ;) ) , but it all goes down hill after that "new" car smell is gone ....

Afaik, you can't request a ethernet drop online, must call in and make it 100% clear to the rep on the phone, that you only need a ethernet drop, no matter what they try to sell you or say otherwise. And the pricing is just like any other. 1st year is a great price, then on it rises up, just like TWC. And speaking of TWC...

How much were you paying with TWC for 300Mb?
About $110, which for the speed isn't bad. Much less then Fios. I have to go with the 150/150 Fios because the 300/300 is like $150 for the first year alone.

For the simple fact verizon sold a part of it's customer base to a foreign company, which btw has all it's customer service overseas, without notifying said customers, is reason enough to cancel their retarded service. **** verizon.

For the simple fact verizon sold a part of it's customer base to a foreign company, which btw has all it's customer service overseas, without notifying said customers, is reason enough to cancel their retarded service. **** verizon.

And what foreign company would that be?

Just got Fios installed in the new home.

1991757269.png

And that was over wifi on a android tablet. :attn:

My eyes are burning :O You need an ssd for that internet speed :D you will download a game in a few minutes compared to 41 hours for me :D (world of Warcraft) and ofc that won't cost 40$ of internet data for you :D

My eyes are burning :O You need an ssd for that internet speed :D you will download a game in a few minutes compared to 41 hours for me :D (world of Warcraft) and ofc that won't cost 40$ of internet data for you :D

How do you need an SSD for those internet speeds?

Just got Fios installed in the new home.

1991757269.png

And that was over wifi on a android tablet. :attn:

My old digital camera's CF card would handle those speeds just fine... Just 20 MBps there :) Would love to have that symmetric upload though instead of cable's typical 90%/10%.

Last edited:
My old digital camera's CF card would handle those speeds just fine... Not even 8 MBps there :) Would love to have that symmetric upload though instead of cable's typical 90%/10%.

I got to ask, cause I thought it was roughly 8bits to a byte? Might not be that cut and dry, but all I've ever seen it was around that number, while they wouldn't need an ssd for those speeds, they are roughly 20MB down/up.

Steam is crazy. I wish I had over 3 exabytes per second. Could do some streaming of 512k video with that :)

Steam is damn crazy.png

That's like a 1999-to-early-2000s HDD. So no, you don't need an SSD...

I have to use DSL Reports because Ookla does not properly pick up my load balanced bonded pairs:
8339365.png

Back