• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What's your connection speed? Test and link!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
1943038345.png

What? I used to get 20MBPS with my old modem, but for some reason upgrading to the best consumer modem in the whole world(Motorola SurfBoard Extreme SB6121), gigabit ethernet, DOCSIS 3.0, combined with my trusty Linksys WRT54GL(the most popular and hackable router ever made), lowered my down to 10MBPS... noticeable performance drop... but still, with TWC in my area, they don't "Officially" support any cable modems other than a few ridiculously outdated DOCSIS 1.0 ones..
I see ppl with 10MBPS down here, and people say that that's GOOD? Around here, I have the cheapo internet(pay $50/mo for 20MBPS down and 1 up), TWC sells 70MBPS down, 30 up...

Comblast crap and Motorola Surfboard

1943038345.png

What? I used to get 20MBPS with my old modem, but for some reason upgrading to the best consumer modem in the whole world(Motorola SurfBoard Extreme SB6121), gigabit ethernet, DOCSIS 3.0, combined with my trusty Linksys WRT54GL(the most popular and hackable router ever made), lowered my down to 10MBPS... noticeable performance drop... but still, with TWC in my area, they don't "Officially" support any cable modems other than a few ridiculously outdated DOCSIS 1.0 ones..
I see ppl with 10MBPS down here, and people say that that's GOOD? Around here, I have the cheapo internet(pay $50/mo for 20MBPS down and 1 up), TWC sells 70MBPS down, 30 up...

Mister.... Have you made any headway on this retarded issue i'm having too? I was cranking out 26MBPS down and 4/5 on the ups.. and now feel like i'm being raped paying 50 bucks a month for 3.2MBPS down...... Comcasts answer was bull****... it must be your modem cause our signals are all perfect to your box.. (so sayeth the tech after 3 phone calls and demand they come check)

Did you find a fix... was gonna buy your 6121 and now i'm seeing its happening with them too.?

Which modem... ?

Just added a new TP-Link WDN4800 N adapter to replace the old atheros G model. Seems to have made a difference. Comcast business downstream is 2x (sustained) higher than what I'm paying for now:

1939992215.png

With powerboost to the DC speakeasy server:
p0vDu.jpg

e: Seriously, I don't know what CC did, but I can't complain with them giving me a free DL upgrade. Hasn't dropped in performance since the last tests.

Grumper... please oh please tell me you have a consumer bought cable modem??? or are you renting comblasts equipment?

1988734298.png

What do I win?

EDIT: The limit of this is the LAN speed connection, I'm pretty sure if I was in the server room I would be able to get a higher speed.

// SkuToV

Finally.....

Comcast finally listened.. The garbage truck nearly took my line off the house last summer.. last three days I bitched and bitched and bitched about slow speed. Sent out a tech... didn't fix... bitched again sent out another tech.. and found cable was hanging on pole by a few threads...

F'in Finally speeds are back.. (Nothing wrong with Motorola modem like they tried to make me believe) IT WAS THEIR LINE TO POOL ...

Moral: Don't let comcast bully you into buying new equipment or tell you that you don't have a problem

Basic performance tier.. 48.95 / month

1990006316.png

Will I really see a jump 5-9 MBPS down for the 10.00 cost ???????????? Should i step up a tier?? Some torrenting.. Idea help

WOW dropadrop :shock: Who and what are you using for an ISP for speeds like that? I'm jealous and I haven't even looked at mine.

EDIT: Ok now I'm realy jealous dropadrop, that are some awsome speeds:

1990550087.png

I did have a bf3 patch downloading at the same time.

Grumper... please oh please tell me you have a consumer bought cable modem??? or are you renting comblasts equipment?
With Business class you basically have to rent the modem as part of the contractual fee. You can't (easily) get out of it.

It's not ideal, but I'd have to pay alot more & deal with a cap to get the same speeds with their consumer class since they upgraded the pipe (still paying for 12/2 and seeing 30/20 sustained now):

1990565964.png
(as of today - since the last post they raised the upload speed for whatever reason)

Will I really see a jump 5-9 MBPS down for the 10.00 cost ???????????? Should i step up a tier?? Some torrenting.. Idea help
With QoS and conservative settings on your torrent client, you should have plenty of headroom at your current speed tier.

Last edited:
WOW dropadrop :shock: Who and what are you using for an ISP for speeds like that?

I think it's a pretty normal gigabit connection during peak hours (lunch break).

I think even home users can get gigabit connections here these days but the price is around 100€/month and upload limited to 100mbits.

Originally posted by dropadrop:
I think even home users can get gigabit connections here these days but the price is around 100€/month and upload limited to 100mbits

Ahhh I see, that is a lot more than I'm willing to pay for service, but would love those speeds.

1991043194.png

Actually ordered a 10/10M connection but somehow got this :---D

Probably the same as I have at home. Speedtest shows the wrong upload speed, really it's 10mbit (if you actually try to do somrthing with it), but downstream is 100mbit.

Lucky you...

IF Only the USA

If only the usa had such beliefs and ethics. I'm still lost why we don't have the access to extreme cable speeds without sacrificing a testicle..

Maybe I'll look into headin over to Finland... Oh what to do with all my guns though???

Probably the same as I have at home. Speedtest shows the wrong upload speed, really it's 10mbit (if you actually try to do somrthing with it), but downstream is 100mbit.

Lucky you...

Hehe:) No, my upload works tbh. uploaded 7-8Mb/s yesterday:)

If only the usa had such beliefs and ethics. I'm still lost why we don't have the access to extreme cable speeds without sacrificing a testicle..

Maybe I'll look into headin over to Finland... Oh what to do with all my guns though???
America's comparatively-huge, for one, and that the telcos don't have any incentive to roll out faster connections (or real regulations to force them to do it for that matter).

As far as the guns go, Finns love their rifles as much as Americans or Canadians, so you'd probably do just fine with them there.

Yeah, plenty of places with "slow" connections here, though I would think you can get a 8mbit connection in 99% of the country. There is some program to ensure 99% of habitants would have a possibility for a 100mbit connection by 2015, but we'll see what happens (we have plenty of rural areas too).

But the main thing that changed pricing and speeds for broadband here was that a government agent forced competition. Now any local telco will have to rent out the last mile based on real cost which opened up competition in all fairly habited areas. Small towns might still be limited to one ISP, but it's just because the competition feels they can't break even if they go there, not because they could not go there.

The nicest thing here is that we don't really have restrictions either. Broadband connections don't have transfer limitations, ip's are public, ports are generally not blocked (incoming SMTP might be to prevent email spam), the authorities have mandated that you can't forbid running servers on consumer connections etc.

I originally had the 15/768 RR Turbo (up to 20 down for a few seconds). I was recently upgrade to 20/2, hitting around 25 w/Turbo. I've recently been getting higher download speeds more consistently though, though there has been no mention of another upgrade, and this was in the early morning, which is when I'm up anyway so it works for me.

1985712102.png

Back