• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What's your connection speed? Test and link!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
3744080676.png

Comcast Double Play package out of the Boston, MA area. Upgraded internet for 10 extra bucks a month, final bill with cable ends up being about $120.00 a month split between two people. Using my own Motorola Surfboard SB6141 modem, Cisco Linksys E4200 router, and Netgear GS108 Gigabit switch, all Cat 6.

3820543821.png

retro speeds :cool:
matches my two main requirements no1 its cheap as chips £12 per month... no2 they don't moan about how much abuse it gets :D

if your is retro what makes mine?
3821331565.png

from the dinosaur age?

I was going to post my speeds when I was throttled again, but I think everyone remembers that it's slower than 56K dial up. :rofl:

Now plz tell me you aren't paying large for that service.

^^^poor trekky - I think you have to light a fire and grab a blanket to smoke signal in binary with that package :D

don`t play Quake live! you`ll just end up smashing something. lol

I recently upgraded from the 30/5 to 100/5 as TWC was having a "sale"; upgrade for only $10 a month extra (instead of the $30 normal). I decided to take it, even if it's only a year, and see what would happen in the future. That was about 2 months ago and just the other day they sent an email stating that the speed was being upgraded for all tiers. The 100/5 was now to become 300/20.

3822838366.png

Sadly, although I have a Docsis 3.0 modem capable of those speeds (Motorola SB6141), the way TWC has implemented the new speeds is not compatible with this model. Now comes the wait for the new modem, which seems to be either be out of stock everywhere, or not released yet. :confused:

Let's hope that it was only slow because mom/pa/sis/bro/everyoneelse was streaming ;)

Holy cow Mpegger, that's quit the upgrade! :drool:

lol nope that is what we get :(

I just noticed that you are with Frontier, I'm surprised you get those speeds when testing. They provide internet in some areas near where I live here in Illinois, and I have heard of people paying what you are for only a half meg down at best.

Silly I get faster speeds consistantly, exiting out of the UK. I pay for 20/2.. The ping is left to be desired.

3825890087.png

3826674426.png
I recently upgraded from the 30/5 to 100/5 as TWC was having a "sale"; upgrade for only $10 a month extra (instead of the $30 normal). I decided to take it, even if it's only a year, and see what would happen in the future. That was about 2 months ago and just the other day they sent an email stating that the speed was being upgraded for all tiers. The 100/5 was now to become 300/20.

3822838366.png

Sadly, although I have a Docsis 3.0 modem capable of those speeds (Motorola SB6141), the way TWC has implemented the new speeds is not compatible with this model. Now comes the wait for the new modem, which seems to be either be out of stock everywhere, or not released yet. :confused:

yeah you'll need a docsis 3.0 with awg 2.0 for those speeds over 100. But I'm surprised you say they dont have them cause here in San Antonio were already putting them on customers with turbo or higher in preparation for next years upgrade to the mass market and 300mbps speeds. I'll be getting one in a couple weeks when I transfer my service to my new apt.

View attachment 154968

yeah you'll need a docsis 3.0 with awg 2.0 for those speeds over 100. But I'm surprised you say they dont have them cause here in San Antonio were already putting them on customers with turbo or higher in preparation for next years upgrade to the mass market and 300mbps speeds. I'll be getting one in a couple weeks when I transfer my service to my new apt.

I don't know if TWC has them, as I do not rent my modem from them. I'd rather buy it outright instead. Maybe I could get one from TWC for the month or two till retailers have the Motorola version in stock, but the crappy modem/router TWC provides would probably be more headaches in addition to the rental price.

lol I work for TWC as a service tech we have them here in San Antonio there docsis 3.0 awg 2.0 dual band and the range is far better than our previous models. They are Arris modems. I cant understand why NY aint got them since NY is normally the launch platform for most of our new or upgraded services.

The (older) Arris Docsis 2.0 modem/router/VoIP is what I had previously when I first got the service. It was utter trash. Inconsistent speeds, and constant disconnects which required one to power cycle the modem every single time, and even ended up having to switch out the first one as it appears to have died (would not stay connected). The 2nd one appeared ok, for about a month, then started with the need for constant power cycling again. I just went and got a SB6141 and never had any problems again. I just wish TWC hadn't implemented those speeds via dual band, as this modem is more then capable of supporting 300/100+ (though I do understand the technical reason why).

Dunno when they rolled out the higher speeds here in NYC. It seems it was available to a few for some time already (I've read on other forums of TWC users in the NYC area already having it for months, as well as the SB6183), but it looks like it's being rolled out to everyone in the area now.

If I have time, I'll drop by a TWC store tomorrow and see if I can pickup one of thier modems that's compatible with the new speeds. Like I said in the previous post, retailers should be getting the Motorola SB6183 within 1-2 months, so I wouldn't be renting it from TWC for long.

while your modem may be capable of speeds over 100mbps unfortunately the way we are implementing the speeds (dont know if this is due to our system or how the modems have to have it yet) you'll have to get a awg 2.0 model. For us to achieve those speeds we have to do it over several bands our current is 8 down and 4 up with speeds over 100 needing 16 down and 8 up. This is also another reason why analog tv will become defunct in a mass market scenario as we'll need those bands to get whats needed for the future needs of the internet. And since everything is pretty much internet driven these days it seems to make sense from that aspect, but I know alot of analog subscribers are going to get pissed.

Back