• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Quick Ubuntu question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Shelnutt2

Overclockers Team Content Editor
Do I need to run both Ubuntu 32bit and 64bit? Is it like Windows XP64 bit were not everything 32bit runs, and thus I need to install Ubuntu 32bit also? Or is Linux different and I'll not notice many/if any apps not working under Ubuntu 64bit?

In the case that I need to install both Ubuntu's is it ok to use a common linux swap partition? Or should they each have their own?

64 bit, and this goes for most all distro's, still have compatibility issues with some programs and drivers are sometimes still half baked. 64 bit does give a speed boost under certain situations but can also be slower under other situations. If you want worry free computing then stick with 32 bit for now and if you feel adventurous and want to tinker then install both. Not sure about a common swap but I don't why it wouldn't work.

if your running 64bit you have to run a 32bit chroot enviroment for certain applications that have not yet been ported

I run Gentoo 32-bit on my main machine and so far have no need for a 32-bit install. I have a binary build of 32-bit mplayer to play windows codecs and don't mind not seeing flash on websites (and if I want to I just fire up my 32-bit opera). The only problem is that I've been on dial-suck since may and can't update my os.

ok thanks guys. Its good to know I can use one swap file. I think I'll go with Ubuntu 64 and see where I end up.

Back