• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

XServer just went bye-bye

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Shelnutt2

Overclockers Team Content Editor
I was trying to get 3ddesktop to work. I needed DRI so from http://dri.freedesktop.org/wiki/ I ran this script:
Code:
wget http://dri.freedesktop.org/snapshots/extras/Xorg.bz2
wget http://dri.freedesktop.org/snapshots/extras/modules.tar.bz2

mv -f /usr/X11R6/bin/Xorg /usr/X11R6/bin/Xorg.backup
bzip2 -d Xorg.bz2
cp Xorg /usr/X11R6/bin
chmod 4755 /usr/X11R6/bin/Xorg

mv /usr/X11R6/lib/modules /usr/X11R6/lib/modules.backup
tar -C /usr/X11R6/lib -xjf modules.tar.bz2

cd /etc/X11
rm X
ln -s /usr/X11R6/bin/Xorg X
if [ -f XF86Config-4 ]; then cp XF86Config-4 xorg.conf; fi

Now when I start ubuntu it finished loading but I can still see the ubuntu loading screen but there is a small two or three pixels high, bar that runs across the screen. I tried to pres ctrl + alt F1-F7 to see if I could get into a virtual CLI login but no joy. Did I just bork my fresh install of Ubuntu 32 bit 6.10?

and if anyone might know how to get 3ddesktops to work...

Thanks for all your help guys.

You should look into Xgl/Beryl to do what you want to do, it is newer than 3d desktop and uses an opengl layer within the X server instead of DRI for rendering. It should offer greater performance, and lots of other nice effect.

To fix your X server and reverse the effects of that script you could do the following:
Code:
rm -rf /usr/X11R6/bin/Xorg
mv /usr/X11R6/bin/Xorg.backup /usr/X11R6/bin/Xorg
rm -rf /usr/X11R6/lib/modules
mv /usr/X11R6/lib/modules.backup /usr/X11R6/lib/modules
If you cannot get to a virtual terminal to do this, you could either try connecting to the box over ssh (if you have an sshd running) or boot into Ubuntu's "recovery" mode using the liveCD. It is usually a bad idea to change/move/delete any files that are owned by a package installed by the package manager (apt in the case of Ubuntu). You can cause all manor of problems and in some cases break your system entirely.

Flamed_Chip said:
It is usually a bad idea to change/move/delete any files that are owned by a package installed by the package manager (apt in the case of Ubuntu). You can cause all manor of problems and in some cases break your system entirely.

This seems like very important advice...good to know....NOTED!
Do you mean that if you install. say, Superkaramba through your package manager, and play around with some of the installed files in /home/user/.superkaramba, you could mess up the whole install?

Nope, the files in your home directory are not owned by the package, but created by super karamba. You won't be able to break anything system wide by changing files in your own home directory.

Thanks Flamed_Chip. I did as you said (via ssh) and I was able to get Xserver running again. I have Xgl/Beryl running now...and how! Thanks for the help!

i'm not sure exactly what is going on there and why thigns are screwed up, but I do know that once you start doing things by hand in a distro such as ubuntu or debian, you are bound to run in to errors, whether it is package errors or whatever. I'm not sure what the exact directions are for getting 3ddesktop working in ubuntu, but I'm sure it is in some wiki somewhere. and as was mentioned before, I would suggest trying to xgl/aiglx/compiz/beryl. I got beryl to work on debian with standard debian packages, but it definitely was a little bit of a workout.

Back