• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

should I rma it?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Petebert

I bought some advertised 4-4-4-12 gskill DDR2 800 2x512 for my new setup from newegg. There was a few reviews saying it wouldnt post as advertised so I did my research and figured those people just didnt know what they where doing and bought it anyways.

I set it up per the instructions from gskill and sure enough blue screens either before I got to my desktop or right when I got there. I emailed support and they ended up telling me to RMA it to them, not really an option for me since I wouldnt have a computer while waiting who knows how long to get more. So I decide to RMA it to newegg and order some more expensive advertised 5-5-5-15 crucial ram just for the principal of the ram not being as advertised.

Part of the gskill instructions is to set the ram to 1.9 instead of 1.8, today I decided to try 2.0 and so far its running just fine, went through a 3dmark06 session with out crashing and since 1.9 wouldnt even get to desktop I'm pretty confident this ram will run fine at 2.0

Since the crucial hasnt shipped yet I bet I can still cancel it within the next 2 hours, think I should and keep the gskill at 2.0?

Have you run memtest on the gskills? Also what specs do they have for the voltage? If they seem to be running fine now I might hang on to them but if you are having to overvolt them to just to run stable then I'd rma.

hmm, I thought it was listed as a 1.8-1.9, but I just checked and see its a 1.9-2.0 so I suppose it just might be ok.

Back