• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

how to disable agpgart in ubuntu?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

OSGentoo

anybody know how i can successfully disable agpgart in ubuntu (kubuntu actually) so i can load nvagp?

I added nvidia-agp to my /etc/modules and added agpgart to /etc/hotplug/blacklist and it still loads agpgart and won't load nvagp.

the reason i am doing this is because i get really crappy performance with my 7800gs agp 256mb graphics card, both 2d and 3d, but especially 2d. I get about 13000 in glxgears which seems a little low but not to bad.

2d is really bad, windows are very choppy when redrawing.

i also might add i did not have this problem with gentoo or windows on the same hardware.

if agpgart is as a module you should just add NvAGP=1 to xorg.conf and it will use nvagp instead.

u don't need to blacklist it

I couldn't get nvagp to load until I recompiled my kernel without support for agpgart. NvAGP=1 didn't help me. What video drivers are you using? I've got the same video card with the 9629 drivers and it works fine.

Someone might have a better idea for disabling agpgart, but thats mine. :D

edit: forgot the reason I switched to nvagp in the first place. I was having random hard freezes. The freezes went away when I started using nvagp.

Last edited:
yeah in order for it to work, agp needs to be either disabled or compiled as module.

Although it seems you do have a performance problem, please bear in mind glxgears is by no means a benchmark and the numbers can be effected by lots of things, the best way to test is with a proper 3D game.

i've always just used agpgart with out any problems that I know of, but it looks like the standard is to compile a new kernel with agpgart as a module, then put `Option "NvAGP" "3"` in your card device section. 1 is use nvagp, 2 is use agpgart, and 3 is try agpgart fallback to nvagp.

but it looks like if you only want to use nvagp, you best bet is to remove it from your kernel completely and then use `Option "NvAGP" "1"`

i will compile a new kernel, that was the next thing i was going to try, and i already have Option "NvAGP" "1" in my xorg.conf, didn't work.

also, i am not sure if this is my problem or not, if it isn't, does anybody have any ideas what could be causing the crappy 2d performance? 3d is not to horrible but 2d is really bad, The default xorg nv driver is almost as good for 2d.

what drivers are you using, i'd assume nvidia as opposed to nv, but what version #?

i have tried 9629 and am now using 8776, both have the same results.
I have to go to the gym, but when i get home i will try recompiling my kernel.

Back