• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

World's Worst Clocking 7900gs

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
g0dM@n said:
i don't see how that makes anything better.... you'd get higher clocks but it won't help gain more performance... thus defeating the whole purpose of relaxing the timings.

Depends on the timings, you might have to change cas2 to cas3 and thats all. Thus you still gained good performance. Just have to test it to see what work the best for your card.

Mathersalan said:
Wow that has to suck for a video card like that to only auto detect at that speed
and i wouldn't be surprised if a card that bad started artifacting on certain games at stock speeds...

sen, i'm glad you exchanged that card... i would never keep a card that BARELY overclocked... makes me feel like the card may not work as advertised someday... gotta have some headroom with ANYTHING you buy IMO. ratings should always be AT LEAST slightly less than actual performance... and urs was way too close to spec.

This card autoed at a slightly better speed. Final clocks look to be 547 / 1.39 which is so-so. Looks like all the PNY cards are pretty bad ocers

your much better to go with somthing like the evga/xfx/bfg/anyothermakerusingreference for simplicity sake. the volt mods are straight forward, and you will get a hell of a great card for the money. But i have seen some people doing well with the palif. I didnt read those threads i posted through completly for performence, but im sure they just like any other gs when you get aggressive.

Valk said:
your much better to go with somthing like the evga/xfx/bfg/anyothermakerusingreference for simplicity sake. the volt mods are straight forward, and you will get a hell of a great card for the money. But i have seen some people doing well with the palif. I didnt read those threads i posted through completly for performence, but im sure they just like any other gs when you get aggressive.
i personally would refrain from PNY as well... but Sen likes to shop locally... he often does. :)

I fried my biostar I got from the egg so I went to BB and picked up the PNY. Man that card was a garbage OC'r. Got back on NE and saw the EVGA for the same price so I got that one and that is the best of the 3 I had by far. Running speeds in my sig with no mods and not even pushing it. Actually the slider on the memory wont let me go any further so I don't even know it's limits. I don't care right now because I don't want to fry another one. I'm going to do the trade in for the DX10 in a few months anyway.

I have no idea how that works though. Can anyone tell me how to trade up at EVGA? I did register with them after I got the card.

Nevrsumr22 said:
I fried my biostar I got from the egg so I went to BB and picked up the PNY. Man that card was a garbage OC'r. Got back on NE and saw the EVGA for the same price so I got that one and that is the best of the 3 I had by far. Running speeds in my sig with no mods and not even pushing it. Actually the slider on the memory wont let me go any further so I don't even know it's limits. I don't care right now because I don't want to fry another one. I'm going to do the trade in for the DX10 in a few months anyway.

I have no idea how that works though. Can anyone tell me how to trade up at EVGA? I did register with them after I got the card.
wow... 630mhz gpu from stock 450mhz... all with stock volts, lol... man nvidia cards really OC like crazy sometimes.

my x1800 and x1900 needed more voltage to go up... only OCed a tad bit with stock vcore...

i swear i woulda stuck a 7900gs or gt into my system if only it did HDR+AA. I'm really glad nVidia has that option now for the 8 series at least... which may win me over next time i'm ready to upgrade.

Nevrsumr22 said:
Got back on NE and saw the EVGA for the same price so I got that one and that is the best of the 3 I had by far.
Interesting if this is truly a brand issue I think I will take both of them back. Not just for the fact that they barely auto above stock but to make a point that I do not approve of how PNY does its buisness.

There's a BFG on sale here for $199 I think ill go with that.

Sentential said:
Interesting if this is truly a brand issue I think I will take both of them back. Not just for the fact that they barely auto above stock but to make a point that I do not approve of how PNY does its buisness.

There's a BFG on sale here for $199 I think ill go with that.
a 7900gs bfg?? why would you spend $199 on a GS... just go with a GT. :)

g0dM@n said:
a 7900gs bfg?? why would you spend $199 on a GS... just go with a GT. :)

+1 and to be honest I'd take a look at XFX as well. Take a look at the reviews out there. They are known to clock high as ish. I didn't get one because I was trying to make up for the shipping I lost on the RMA from trying to go with a no-name brand then having it fry. My XFX 6800XT went from 350/1000 to 450/1250 althought this EVGA I have is great as well.

Nevrsumr22 said:
+1 and to be honest I'd take a look at XFX as well. Take a look at the reviews out there. They are known to clock high as ish. I didn't get one because I was trying to make up for the shipping I lost on the RMA from trying to go with a no-name brand then having it fry. My XFX 6800XT went from 350/1000 to 450/1250 althought this EVGA I have is great as well.
When it comes to nVidia, here's my favorites:
#1 eVGA
#2 XFX
#3 BFG

g0dM@n said:
When it comes to nVidia, here's my favorites:
#1 eVGA
#2 XFX
#3 BFG

Well I have only ever owned 4 cards since I got back into PC's and -

XFX - Great clocker but loud fan and ran hot as he!! (blow dryer fan, seriously)
Biostar 7900 GS - Fried
PNY 7900 GS - All around P.O.S.
Evga - I give it a 9 out of 10. If it came with a good silent fan there is nothing I bad I could say. Although in all honestly the first thing I did was take it off and put my silencer on so I never really heard it lol. Just going by the reviews of others.

Back