• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

World's Worst Clocking 7900gs

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sentential

Contributing Member
Sometimes I just have to laugh at how bad my luck can be some times. After puncuting my rad (of course ruining it) one week ago, today I recieved all the replacement parts and after transfering my parts over to a new setup my AIW X1800 died for the fifth time (yes F-I-F)

So enraged as usual I went on a quest to never buy ATi again and bought a $150 7900GS. What am I rewarded with?

7900gsfromhell.jpg

Sometimes my bad luck never ceases to amaze me keep in mind those clocks are on water @ 38C idle. :santa: Atleast the setup is almost finished. (and looks nice to boot)

I thought the 7900s were insane clockers... may have to put a pencil to it... if there is a pencil mod that is...

g0dM@n said:
I thought the 7900s were insane clockers... may have to put a pencil to it... if there is a pencil mod that is...
Lol the only pencil this card will see is at the return line of compusa. I seriously doubt this thing would pass on stock cooling. Ill take my chances with another card lol

Sentential said:
Lol the only pencil this card will see is at the return line of compusa. I seriously doubt this thing would pass on stock cooling. Ill take my chances with another card lol
That's the beauty of buying locally. =)

ehhh. yours probaby just needs a voltmod to see its true colors, what make of card you got there?

its not the card its the bios.

my card BLOWS on overclocking with the new bios

you can use coolbits anymore. must use ntune to overclock the video card

you can use rivatuner to oc that card. or the ati tool beta. should be able to get around 500 out of it with stock volts at least..

Yikes those are bad clocks, especially for the ram. My Hynix 1.4 does 1750 easy, not to mention my Core came clocked at 540 from the Factory...

There's an easy volt mod for the 7900's that use the reference PCB, unfortunatly the PNY isn't one of them.

Try rivatuner for sure, but its not unheard of to have a bad clocker. mine came 450 stock, but it is entirely possible to get one that is just so bad it wont clock more than that.
I think there is a voltmod over at rage3d for the pny. I still wanna know how people are getting their ram so much higher without a voltmod, mine wont budge =\

Sentential are you sure that after blowing 5 cards and getting a poor overclocker your not doing something wrong?

Maby that Antec is putting out crappy power and taking out Graphics cards?

Zeb

zebkoolindc said:
Sentential are you sure that after blowing 5 cards and getting a poor overclocker your not doing something wrong?

Zeb
he's tried 3 diff systems with his cards... i think his brain is putting out static signals into the air and shorts something out... i told him to wear his anti-static helmet, but he just doesn't believe me!!

drshivas said:
Is this the PNY 7900GS thats been off and on sale at B&Ms lately?
Yes thats correct. This was a price match at compusa however

atm743 said:
its not the card its the bios.

my card BLOWS on overclocking with the new bios

you can use coolbits anymore. must use ntune to overclock the video card
Very interesting! What do you mean by this?

Valk said:
you can use rivatuner to oc that card. or the ati tool beta. should be able to get around 500 out of it with stock volts at least..
Tried that, I get to about 475 and it hardlocks. Ram wont budge either

CanadianTSi said:
Yikes those are bad clocks, especially for the ram. My Hynix 1.4 does 1750 easy, not to mention my Core came clocked at 540 from the Factory...

There's an easy volt mod for the 7900's that use the reference PCB, unfortunatly the PNY isn't one of them.
Yea i know hence while its going back. FYI this ram wont do 1.39 without hardlocking.

zebkoolindc said:

Zeb
Thats possible but as godman has said ive tried multiple setups without any success (went three power supplies etc)

That last X1800 was a smokin clocker shame it bit the dust.

Sentential said:
Thats possible but as godman has said ive tried multiple setups without any success (went three power supplies etc)

That last X1800 was a smokin clocker shame it bit the dust.
Well maybe you should stop playing video games! These cards are not meant to run 32 hours a day, 8 days a week!!

I have the PNY 7900GS and it does 560, which isnt too bad, but isnt as great as the others i've seen. It also has the Hynix 1.4 memory like the other's, but it'll only do 1440Mhz or so(tight memory timings maybe??)...@ 1460 it'll artifact and freeze and reboot my PC. it would probably fly with some more voltage, too bad PNY did follow the reference PCB. I hope some1 figures out how to voltmod a PNY.

PS. if you can post a link to rage3d's voltmod for a PNY that'd be helpful, Im looking for it but cannot find it. ty

Last edited:
You can always tweak the BIOS on that card by relaxing timings a little, thus giving you higher OC rates.

You will need NvFlash and NiBitor 3.1.

UglyChild said:
You can always tweak the BIOS on that card by relaxing timings a little, thus giving you higher OC rates.

You will need NvFlash and NiBitor 3.1.
i don't see how that makes anything better.... you'd get higher clocks but it won't help gain more performance... thus defeating the whole purpose of relaxing the timings.

Back