• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

World's Worst Clocking 7900gs

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Nevrsumr22 said:
Well I have only ever owned 4 cards since I got back into PC's and -

XFX - Great clocker but loud fan and ran hot as he!! (blow dryer fan, seriously)
Biostar 7900 GS - Fried
PNY 7900 GS - All around P.O.S.
Evga - I give it a 9 out of 10. If it came with a good silent fan there is nothing I bad I could say. Although in all honestly the first thing I did was take it off and put my silencer on so I never really heard it lol. Just going by the reviews of others.
i had an evga 7600gt... fan was not loud @ all... from the looks of it, the style looks similar to the 7900gs fan.

Ah, mines really noisy when you get gaming. which is why its watercooled now.
Im not sure what this is made of though. the fins are copper, and the base? it looks and feels like anodized aluminum heh.
So sen, where are those 7's? you'r supposed to mod the crap out of that card ;P

Sentential said:
This card autoed at a slightly better speed. Final clocks look to be 547 / 1.39 which is so-so. Looks like all the PNY cards are pretty bad ocers

It's likely because the caps on it suck! Over at badcaps.net, there was a report of a PNY video card having bad caps.
More likely, GSC caps.

The caps that I saw on eVGAs don't suck. eVGA seems to use quality caps, but I would watch out for the fan.
The fan on my eVGA GeForce 4 Ti 4200 64 MB has a tendency to moan, click or rattle, but only sometimes and usually only when just starting it up.
It's more likely to do that when the temp is low. The fan seems to have an issue with low temps. :(

Last edited:
Ran a 3Dmark with Rivatuner jacking her to 650/1800 and I thought she was going to blow again. Locked up once and artifacts everywhere. Switched back to NVIDA control and ran it 630/1650 for this score. Not bad.

Attachments

• 3d.JPG
    3d.JPG
    66.3 KB · Views: 163
Sentential said:
PNY from bestbuy 1.4ns Hynix Ram
That card is probably a dog BECAUSE it is PNY. I've seen my share of crappy components and dodgy SMT soldering jobs, most of them on PNY products. I stay far away from PNY. A few higher end 6800's used Oscon caps, but the rest I had no clue. Probably OST.

Super Nade said:
That card is probably a dog BECAUSE it is PNY. I've seen my share of crappy components and dodgy SMT soldering jobs, most of them on PNY products. I stay far away from PNY. A few higher end 6800's used Oscon caps, but the rest I had no clue. Probably OST.
Yea I think I'm gonna wind up taking both of them back due to my dissapointment in their ability to clock to an even average level. Havent decided if ill get the XFX 600/1650 or just pick up a BFG here locally.

The caps on this card are solid, the previous one was using chineese/taiwaneese but this one I am using now is using Rubicon which is the best you can buy.

okay the Pailt 7900GS can be modded, how do you perform the pencil mod, just connect both the resitors ends with a pencil?

My eVGA 7900GS can be had for $139 after a $15 rebate and mine is kicking ***! After I had my eVGA 6600GT which lasted a good 2 years, I will always go eVGA. They now have lifetime warranty as long as you register and unlike PNY, it's "Lifetime warranty" does not mean 3 years, it means lifetime.

After autoclocking using Ati-tool, it ended up giving me 582MHz Core and 840MHz Memory.
This card came stock at 500/690 ! The stock stock stock 7900GS comes at 490/560 I believe.
So right now I have a 92MHz OC on the core and 290MHz OC on the memory

ps2cho said:
My eVGA 7900GS can be had for $139 after a $15 rebate and mine is kicking ***! After I had my eVGA 6600GT which lasted a good 2 years, I will always go eVGA. They now have lifetime warranty as long as you register and unlike PNY, it's "Lifetime warranty" does not mean 3 years, it means lifetime.

After autoclocking using Ati-tool, it ended up giving me 582MHz Core and 840MHz Memory.
This card came stock at 500/690 ! The stock stock stock 7900GS comes at 490/560 I believe.
So right now I have a 92MHz OC on the core and 290MHz OC on the memory
:) Don't you love OCing?

Back