• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

e6400 OC by GTac01

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GTac02

First of all, system specs:

e6400, PQI 2x1gb at 4 4 4 12 400mhz, 7800gtx, P5B Deluxe WiFi ed.

Ive got stock cooling on the cpu but i have a duct on it with another fan right on top of it, TAT shows 52c idle, 70c under its stress test. The video card has an aftermarket zalman coller on it that keeps it at 47c idle, 65c under load.

My volts are 1.416 (cpu-z) for cpu. 1.3v for memory (bios).

My goal is to have a decent gaming pc. The most ive been able to get the cpu is 3140mhz stable, and video card 475/1.3 isnt even stable lol . As you can see they both suck in comparison to other people's 3.6ghz and 525/1.5 on air.

What am i doing wrong?

wow im extremely ****ed i got a 5,678 3DMark05 score... :( cpu score 10795

Ok there is somthing for sure wrong with that 05 score , I mean I score 6939 in 05 and thats with a x800pro .

well does resolution etc matter? i used 1360 x 768 (32in lcd). 4 sample AA, Anistropic x16 . everything maxed out. does that affect the score?

Yea it does matter , Did you buy 05 or do you use the free version ?
When running bench marks you want all that turned off , and every thing on proformence vs quality

you really need to get your temps in check. the stock cooler, duct or not, is not cutting it.

i idle around 50c and load around 63c with the settings in my sig and a scythe ninja.

I redid it on everything on performance, 1024x768 etc and i got a 8483 . Still expected to do way better... How can i get into the 10k range?

hUMANbEATbOX said:
you really need to get your temps in check. the stock cooler, duct or not, is not cutting it.

i idle around 50c and load around 63c with the settings in my sig and a scythe ninja.

Well all my components are pretty much better than yours except for the ram, so do you think the ram is being my bottleneck?

||Console|| said:
Is that when you are @ stock ? isnt stock 1.25-1.3 ?

no, running at 3.2ghz which is barely stable for my system...

Btw, i just looked at the top 3DMark05 cpu scores for the OC team and the highest i saw was a 11000, mine is consistent 10800 . What do you guys with e6400's get?

GTac02 said:
I redid it on everything on performance, 1024x768 etc and i got a 8483 . Still expected to do way better... How can i get into the 10k range?

1. FIX YOUR TEMPS!!! 70c is WAY too hot dude...
2. That score is about right, I get something around there with my oc'ed 7800gt + when my cpu is at 3.6ghz.

but yeah, you are burning your cpu with that stock cooler, fix that asap. Ducts & fans wont help.

GTac02 said:
Well all my components are pretty much better than yours except for the ram, so do you think the ram is being my bottleneck?

did you read my post? your bottleneck is your COOLING.

your components being better than mine has nothing to do with anything. the only thing i see that is clearly better than what i've got is your video card. as it stands right now, my cpu is kicking the turds out of yours, because i am cooling it properly.

hUMANbEATbOX said:
did you read my post? your bottleneck is your COOLING.

your components being better than mine has nothing to do with anything. the only thing i see that is clearly better than what i've got is your video card. as it stands right now, my cpu is kicking the turds out of yours, because i am cooling it properly.

Na i dont think its the cooling... but ill give the tuniq a try.. my cpu score is 10800 what is yours?

GTac02 said:
Na i dont think its the cooling... but ill give the tuniq a try.. my cpu score is 10800 what is yours?
11404 with settings in sig. http://service.futuremark.com/orb/projectdetails.jsp?projectType=12&projectId=2220838

i've run it at 3600mhz, but i don't have a compare link for that one, and i forget the cpu score.

can you explain why you don't think your cooling is getting in the way of clocking higher? you are getting full load temps of 70c at 3.1ghz, i am getting full load temps of 63c at 3500mhz. if you don't think that the stock cooling is holding you back, please post some scores at 3500mhz. :)

hUMANbEATbOX said:
11404 with settings in sig. http://service.futuremark.com/orb/projectdetails.jsp?projectType=12&projectId=2220838

i've run it at 3600mhz, but i don't have a compare link for that one, and i forget the cpu score.

can you explain why you don't think your cooling is getting in the way of clocking higher? you are getting full load temps of 70c at 3.1ghz, i am getting full load temps of 63c at 3500mhz. if you don't think that the stock cooling is holding you back, please post some scores at 3500mhz. :)

Ok i will explain... Im running an e6400 at 3.2ghz and im getting 24 points less than you running at 3.5ghz regarless of temperature. My temps are hotter but its not the reason im getting 8448 3dmarks. My cpu/ram is fine, my bottleneck is my OC on the actual video card..

GTac02 said:
Im running an e6400 at 3.2ghz and im getting 24 points less than you running at 3.5ghz regarless of temperature.

10800 + 24 = 11404?

in your first post, you said something about your cpu speed not being close to the 3.6ghz that you see others with. well, i was pointing out that the reason for this, is...dun dun dun....YOUR COOLING!

of course overclocking your video some more will get you more points. i thought you were interested in increasing your cpu speed. my mistake, sorry about that, i'll stop offering my help now. :rolleyes:

k at least i got past the 9000 mark with new drivers and some more overclocking + seating of the heatsink..

HBB's score is near yours and he has an x800pro :-/ Get a better cooler, that's all there is to it. If you already have a Tuniq Tower use it!:) If not I wouldn't bother pushing the edge until you do have it or anything else better than stock.

Dude cooling man. Before OCing anymore get better cooling.

These chips yes can take the heat but they aren't designed for high temps. Your right on the edge for thermal throttling. Try to get into the low 60's at least under load if not 50's.

I'll agree with HBB, whats holding you back is your CPU cooling. You might disagree since your scores up there but either way we look at it everyone will point out get better cooling or drop your CPU clock til you do so. Not only will it save the life on the CPU, but might increase clocks for that voltage.

Edit: As well I see your probably giving it 1.475V+ (CPU-Z tends to read .05V less then what your giving in the bios) tahts extremly high for such a clock. As well most don't get 3.6Ghz. Few do, expecially on air because temps tend to push them back slightly.

Back