• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

partition recovery emergency!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ssjwizard

Has slightly less legible writing than Thideras
ok so my xp install was acting all screwey so i tried to do a repair which also failed. i booted into my windows 2k so i could resize the partion and move my data onto a diffrent partition before i format the partition for a clean install. CRITICAL PROBLEM the program crashed while resizing windows partion. now i cant even boot to 2k(im assuming my boot loader is toast) and im told i need to run recovery software on a completly sepirate drive(dont have anything other than a cd rom avalible) so the question to the alt OS community simply IS THERE A LIVE CD WITH partition recovery software that can fix my ntfs partiton? im curently running my computer off of a knoppix cd i luckily happened to have sitting here

ok i download get data back as recomended by a user in the microsoft os section and have sucessfully unziped and launched the program in knoppix but it tells me that i must have admistrative privlidges to access local disks, i tried seting the advanced properties as run as root and used the root shell to assign a password and used this to launch the program but now it doesnt start. if anyone has advice id be extreemly apreciative.

If you do everything on the command line you can use sudo, which i think would be much easier. I would just extract all the data you need and then reinstall windows if you need it - if that is an option.

while id love to simply copy the files thats not exactly an option right this second as i need to recover the partition first. if anyone knows of a linux app that can do that id greatly apreciate it.

Have you tried Gparted? What partition software were you using? I used Partition Magic, or so it's called, and it quit right in the middle of a partition resizing. Had to google a bit and found out the data was easily recoverable and while working with the partition, PM temporarily designated the drive file system as a partition magic one. So just had to download a program that could read it. There's lots of great freeware partitioning apps out there.

Back