• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

TV Viewer Software

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Shelnutt2

Overclockers Team Content Editor
I'm running Ubuntu 6.10 64bit. I can not get any TV viewing software to work. NMM doesn't see my tuner. I couldn't get gnomeTV to "make". freevo, wouldn't display channels, only got a blue screen. I've googled, and I think I've been through just about all of them. I'm at a loss.

do you ahve all the correct v4l drivers in the kernel? I haven't set up an analog tuner before, but I have setup my hdtv card. I think that XawTV is one of the "standard" apps for analog tv, so give that a try too.

splat said:
do you ahve all the correct v4l drivers in the kernel? I haven't set up an analog tuner before, but I have setup my hdtv card. I think that XawTV is one of the "standard" apps for analog tv, so give that a try too.

I followed this guide http://www.burghardt.pl/wiki/articles/pixelview_playtv_pro_pv-bt878p_9x

So I think I have the drivers working fine.

I've tried XawTV, it doesn't detect any channels. tvtime Doens't detect channels either. I've tried different settings, but the standard for cable is NTSC....In windows I have this problem.

splat said:
i just did a very quick search and found this:

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Bttv

I pretty much used the mythtv wiki to get my hdtv card working, so I would assume it has all the info you need to get your card working, whether you use mythtv or not.

*sigh* I follwed the wiki to the dot, still same problems. Although mythtv will no install for me (I installed it once but as programs weren't working I unstalled then.). It want to install some older packages than I already have, how would I force it to use the newer packages?

i don't know ubuntu well, but in Debian you could set your apt to use the testing tree, which is Etch right now, by editing your /etc/apt.conf (probably not the right file, but i think you get the idea). then run apt-get update, and then apt-get ugrade.

Back