• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

wtf WINE!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hitbyaprkedcar7

Alright. So, after hours of trying to get flash and java to run in a 32bit firefox on my 64bit ubuntu which i only installed for SMP folding, i started to work on my next mission. figuring out WINE. And boy oh boy...

First, i found out wine didnt have a 64bit app, but there was a way to get 32bit to work on 64bit (which i achieved, successfully). Then i tried reading some of the documentation at winehq, which is absolutly terrible. I figured out the "wine **.exe" part, and thats about the only part i figured out. Theres all this talk about getting to the windows version of the path and what not. All i was trying to do was to get cpuz to work.

I figured out how to get to the cdrom and run an installer from the cd rom as well. Tried installing my microsoft zune software, but i got an error.

Can anyone point me to a good documentation about wine? or give me some pointers? Thanks...

Oh and is it possible to install drivers under wine? like my XFI drivers? cause CREATIVE is KILLING ME with no support for linux!!!! ;;ljkhdsafkljhdsflkjhsdfkljhsdfkljhdsf makes me mad.

Support for creative cards is always very slow in coming since Creative is not helpful. The latest series supported is Audigy.

Wine is basic emulation and even if you do everything right many programs will not work with it and those that do may not have full functionality. As far as documentation goes winehq is the best I have found on the core wine project.

It is quite doubtful the Zune software will work under WINE either as there will be no driver support to access the device, this is hard a fault of WINE though.

Before saying the documentation is "absolutly terrible" you could perhaps provide some details on it's short comings in your experience. Personally I have always found the documentation to be fairly thorough and useful.

Cedega for games and Crossover Office for productivity apps are both commercial forks of WINE. You have to pay, but the documentation and config is easier.

hitbyaprkedcar7 said:
Theres all this talk about getting to the windows version of the path and what not.

Try looking in /home/username/.wine/drive_c/Program Files
That is usually the path to your virtual drive.
:)

EDIT: I wrote a guide to installing Diablo II with wine, and it works on Arch Linux as well as PCLinuxOS. If anyone is interested, here it is.

http://www.pclinuxos.com/forum/index.php?topic=13670.0

first of all, WINE is not an emulator. 2nd, if you are installing WINE and Flash, you might as well drop back to the 32bit Ubuntu. For desktop systems, it's really debatable whether 64bit has any advantages over 32bit, and as you have experienced, you have to jump through hoops more hoops than normal to get 32bit apps to work in a 64bit environment.

splat said:
first of all, WINE is not an emulator. 2nd, if you are installing WINE and Flash, you might as well drop back to the 32bit Ubuntu. For desktop systems, it's really debatable whether 64bit has any advantages over 32bit, and as you have experienced, you have to jump through hoops more hoops than normal to get 32bit apps to work in a 64bit environment.

When 32bit SMP folding comes out I'm sure most people will jump back to 32 bit Ubuntu (or which ever linux they are using).

so you're saying the 32bit folding client isn't threaded? i don't fold so i have no idea.

The 5.04 console version is not multithreaded, however, you can run two instances of it easily by installing it twice, to 2 different directories.
;)

i'd stay 32bit and do that if you plan on using the computer as a desktop

The thing is that the 64 bit SMP client (its in beta right now) yields 2-3x the production of running two standalone clients.

64 bit is almost here. I've only found that wine and shockwave/flash are the only things so far that I haven't found a 64bit compatible version of. I would image that 6 months to a year from now all major programs will be 64bit compatible.

is it just me or is it odd that they only have a smp version for 64bit? odd in that 64bit is not the norm, and all modern os's have smp enabled in 32bit.

Shelnutt2 said:
The thing is that the 64 bit SMP client (its in beta right now) yields 2-3x the production of running two standalone clients.

:eek: :eek:

Are you kidding me? Wow, thats impressive. I have never heard of any app benefiting from 64bit so dramatically! I want 64bit folding!

Misfit138 said:

Are you kidding me? Wow, thats impressive. I have never heard of any app benefiting from 64bit so dramatically! I want 64bit folding!

Not really, since the actual console itself is a 32bit application (i had to install the 32bit libraries to get it to work), but for some reason it will only run under 64bit desktop.

As for wine not being an emulator, i know that. "WINE Is Not an Emulator" As for the documentation, it's not very "step by step" on how to use wine and get it up and running. It didnt explain where the path to "windows" was. I was just in a bad mood from all this 64bit headaches and nonsense :( lol The only reason im using 64bit is for SMP folding.

So, if i want a windows true "emulation" , ill have to use VMPlayer or of the sort, right?

But, as far as linux64bit to windows32 bit goes, i dropped my Super Pi score from 32 seconds in windows at this clock speed (right now, 2700mhz) to 25 seconds :) Not sure if thats more 64bit or more linux

Misfit138 said:

As hitb already said its not really that its 64bit. Its because its SMP.

I'm not sure why they have it in 64bit only version. Is there something about 64bit that makes it easier to multithread?

Back