• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Rad question for HTPC WC use

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ARCJr

I'm planning on upgrading my HTPC's watercooling system in a few months, but I'm trying to find/decide on a rad. Due to space concerns, I will only be able to add an 80mm single fan radiator (in addition to my external passive radiator). I've seen the DD and Swiftech 1x80mm rads, but are there any others out there? It'll be used with a near silent 20-30CFM fan. Also, which would be best for such a low CFM fan?

There are lots of 80mm single fan rads, just look on frozencpu, newegg, and a few other watercooling supply stores.

Mike

How tall is the case? If it's the normal desktop height then you may be able to squeeze a Black Ice GT Stealth 120 above the processor. The radiator will sit against the case cover and a fan will be underneath it pull air through into the case.

You’ll need to use the Swiftech Apogee U1 waterblock, fabricate a simple mounting bracket for the radiator out of thin aluminum bar stock from Home Depot, and you’ll need to cut a hole in the case cover so that air can enter the rad.

I’m actually in the process of doing this exact mod to a microATX slim case, except that I’m using an older Black Ice Pro radiator ‘cause it’s the thinnest available rad. My goal is to have a full size water-cooling system internally in a slim case while keeping expandability (slots and drive bays.) After lots of measuring and calculating I came up with this approach.

For my slim case I need to modify the radiator and move the outlets to the edge of the radiator. But if you have a full size case then you probably don’t need to do that. Of course, a lot depends on your motherboard design. You have to look at everything and see if it’s possible.

Just an idea to consider. :)

For 80mm radiators, I did search Frozencpu and newegg, as well as Petra's and jabtech, and the only ones I found were the two I listed, and a "Glacial" one I'd never heard of, and don't particularly trust when for the same price I could get the DD or Swiftech I've at least heard of..

I really like the idea, Graystar, but it's not feasible for my case, at this point. I have an Innovatek Maxi passive radiator mounted on top of the case...actually, your idea might be feasible.

I'll have to take a look at what kind of spacing there is between the fins of the Maxi, and where it is mounted on the case. It might turn the Maxi from passive to active, though I'd have to set mine up to be exhaust instead of intake.

Currently, the Ahanix DVine 4 is lined in sound-deadening material, which may cause a problem in modding that part of the case.

I already have an Apogee installed for the CPU, so there may not be sufficient room, but its worth a shot to check the clearances.

Otherwise, it looks like I'll be buying the DD.

The ones from DD are very nice. I have two of the 80mm rads. Shame you're not able to see the classies or I'd one up for sale.

Not too concerned about cost, here. I spent almost as much on Tygon hose for my WC setup as I'd expect to spend on an 80mm radiator (the external radiator sucked up a lot of hose). Just trying to figure out the best way to do it.

I agree, there's not much point in watercooling with an 80mm radiator, a XP-90 would probably perform better, take up less space and save lots of $$. Go for a 120mm rad at the least, or even two; one on each side of the case? Fiddle around with some 120mm fans, and see where you could squeeze a radiator or two in.

Back