Can't install OS on P5WDH??

How did you guys with the p5wdh install WinXP on your sata hd's?? I've got the sata hd connected on the sata_1 orange slot and my optical drive connected on the blue IDE connector.

In the bios for IDE configuration its set at Sata only in the enhanced mode. I've tried using a slipstream XP cd and loading the intel sata drivers from a floppy and it keeps going to a black screen once the setup files have been copied to the hd and reboots. It was showing signs of the 137gb hd issue and kept asking to format into NTFS since the partition was shown as unknown.

You need to connect it to the RED SATA controller, not the Orange one. Then you wont need a floppy with sata drivers. And yes you need to format your HDD, or the partition you going to install your OS on to.

oops my bad it is plugged into the red one already... the one right next to the northbridge and 2 black sata2 and 3...

I did format the drive with the seagate util cd before installing the OS. I tried both fat32 and ntfs formats. Both did the same thing. After the reboot after setup files were copied over i'd get the black screen and blinking cursor.

If you are not doing RAID then it should work right out of the box, but I would check in the BIOS the General tab, then under IDE CONFIGURATION. I would set it to either Standard IDE or AHCI, although I think AHCI might need a driver disk for. If its set to RAID it will need a disk. Hope this helps a little

~jtjuska
    Mountain Mods U2-UFO
    MCMicro -> DDC -> Apogee -> MCW30 -> PA120.3
    Intel Pentium Dual-Core E2140
    Intel C2D E6600 @ 3.86Ghz **RETIRED**
    Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3P
    G.Skill DDR2800 2x2GB
    HIS HD3870 ICEQ3
    WD Raptor WD740GD
    PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750w

Set it to Standard IDE.

Hard Working Member
    AHCI and Raid both need drivers. What is on your "Slipstream Disk"? Are they Raid or AHCI drivers? Sometimes, using a disk with slipstreamed drivers and the F6 option will cause problems.

Another way is to install with standard IDE and once in Windows you can force upgrade the controller drivers to AHCI. Once the drivers are upgraded, restart the computer and change to SATA in bios and let it go back into Windows.

You dont need SATA drivers, so dont hit F6, windows will install the needed drivers during initial installation.

Then all you have to do is install SP2, reboot, install latest INF from Intel, reboot and you are done. Now you can install everything else.

If you are not using Black IDE controller, then you can disable it in BIOS, its a JMicron controller.

its been set as standard ide and enhanced mode w/ sata only.

ooo its detecting the correct drive size and partitions now... looks like the first slipstream disk i made was bad.

Installing winxp now... stay tuned.

i'm getting the message "error loading operating system" now on reboot after the cd copies the files over Any ideas? I'm using bios version 1602.

i finally figured it out with the help of my IT guy at work. thanks for the tips guys!

Hard Working Member
    Glad you got it working! So what was the fix?

basically had to recreate the partition in the windows setup screen and format. It seems like there's an issue with the installer detecting LBA drives. I believe the issue was resolved in the SP2 install cd tho.

Hard Working Member
    Were you using a Pre-SP2 disk?

yeah mine is a pre-sp2. I couldn't boot into my slipstream cd so i just went back to my orig cd.