• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best 600W+ PSU Modular, Under 170$

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Yeah you really can't go wrong with the Corsair. Its pretty much all pros with the only con being its price.

Another possibility would be the 3Y based OCZ Evostream 600W unit. Downsides compared to the Corsair would be a little less efficient and a tad noisy if you run a quiet rig but if you like the looks of it it really is a solid power supply. Link to the Gurus review. Unfortunately its slightly over $170 but its pretty much brand new so that should come down slightly as more retailers carry it. At the moment East Luna has it cheapest for $177 but they are a new company...

The other option in modular you could consider would be the Enhance built Silverstone ST75F 750 watt unit.
DeadeyeData has it for $137. The corsair has the edge in efficiency but other than the slightly out of spec 5v ripple (which does concern me a little-might want to keep it away from Maxtor HDs) the Silverstone is a ton of power from a good manufacture at a sweet price.

What makes a PSU modular? I am going to take a guess that it means some of the wires can be removed?

--pak

I am going to take a guess that it means some of the wires can be removed?

Yes your pretty dead on the term modular. Plugs outlets on the pws and cables can be pluged in or not depending of what you want

Just have to say it:

Form over function? Not in my PC... :)

PP&C is the bomb...

But I see why a Modular PSU could be asthetically required... :thup:

:cool:

Have you tried jonnyguru.com ? great site... he tests PSU with hardware not just software testing...

dont get me wrong i think Corsiar he ranks okay..
personally... I am hesitant to buy a PSU that iis known for being something ele.. after all 12+ months ago every one loved OCZ PSUs and look what POS s they turned out to be...

Jonnny says hey ok but...says... go with proven names. only one i can think of of hand is seasonic, but others exist...

well, with the corsair having a 5 year warrenty i think your good to go. even if it breaks once every 2 years. and most of you replace your hardware every 2 years anyways. but i chose that 750 watt silverstone over the corsair, i should get it by christmas because the parents refuse to give me an advanced on my present (which is the PSU).

even if it doesn't load very well at 750 watts or so, im never ever going to be putting more than 700 in it. even if i put sli g80 gtx i don't think it'll get up to 700.

My main point was that some of the best PSU's available are NOT Modular - so you are shutting them out (choosing form over function)... I believe the Resistance argument to be moot at best (assuming good quality connectors are used) - I was just referring to the excellent "non-modular" PSU's your are omitting right off the bat...

It is your rig. I prefer performance over asthetics - but that is me... I do drool often at the beautifully laid out systems I see posted here (yes I am a bit jealous) - but I buy for the bottom line of performance...

Modular or not the Corsair HX620 is about as solid as it gets without stepping up to server grade units like Zippy, Win-tact, Etatis or 3Y builds.

In fact if your looking for an 80+ efficient unit (pretty much discounting all those server grade units) its pretty much top of the list.

i would get the corsair 620 over the seasonic. but the seasonic m12 is still an amazing PSU. the 60mm or w/e fan never even turns on. it might but it won't be loud. if you room is like... 90f then it might kick in. but i don't think you'll ever have your room that hot.

Randyman... said:
My main point was that some of the best PSU's available are NOT Modular - so you are shutting them out (choosing form over function)... I believe the Resistance argument to be moot at best (assuming good quality connectors are used) - I was just referring to the excellent "non-modular" PSU's your are omitting right off the bat...

It is your rig. I prefer performance over asthetics - but that is me... I do drool often at the beautifully laid out systems I see posted here (yes I am a bit jealous) - but I buy for the bottom line of performance...

Unless your an elite overclocker the little difference isn't gonna matter.

You can find the Silverstone SST-ST75ZF for roughly $170 from a few reasonably good vendors, it's just not modular. www.froogle.com to find them. Newegg has high prices on Silverstone units for some reason.

Back