• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

processor question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

braza

Registered
I currently am running a [email protected](socket 754).what I want to know is how much better will a overclocked 805 run,and is it gonna be ok for awhile or is it better to just pick up one of the conroes?I know the conroe is better but I dont have lots of cash and I see the 805's are cheap as hell.

my 805d at 3.7 is roughly equal in performance to my 4000+ 939 at 2.6

edit: in games i mean.

The 805's performance should be sufficient for most ppl looking for a decent processor at a decent price. Although a few other models of Pentium D are selling at virtually the same price point and offer higher stock performance, the 805 is likely still the best choice for the seriously budget minded cause of the 533MHz fsb.

Tserrof said:
The 805's performance should be sufficient for most ppl looking for a decent processor at a decent price. Although a few other models of Pentium D are selling at virtually the same price point and offer higher stock performance, the 805 is likely still the best choice for the seriously budget minded cause of the 533MHz fsb.
805 555fsb ~97 retail
920 800fsb ~120 retail,

if you got the extra coin and the larger fsb the 920 can overclock just as nice and has 2Mb more cache.

thanks for the replys Im still not sure which way Im gonna go

I'd go with the low end Conroe before wasting money on the 805, OC'd the low end Conroe would be able to reach a huge performance delta over the 805.

i bought my 805 for fact that it was $90 at the time and i'd have fun overclocking it. If I was in the market to build a new rig and I was trying to decide between a 800/900 series intel and an amd, i'd definitely go amd. Truth is, until you get to the C2D's, the athlon's are still better for gaming. But, if you are trying to decide betweem a 900 series process and a 800 series, definitely go 900 series.

so my ranking from best to worst would be:
C2D > Amd Athlon (opteron, x2, or a64) > 900 series > 800 series

ChinStrap said:
805 555fsb ~97 retail
920 800fsb ~120 retail,

if you got the extra coin and the larger fsb the 920 can overclock just as nice and has 2Mb more cache.
the 533mhz 805would be easier to oc with a cheaper mobo and cheaper ram. that's why its the better budget cpu. the 920 is only 2.8ghz, it has a 200fsb to start with. with the 805, 200fsb would put you at 4ghz. sure the extra cache would be nice, but its not worth the extra cash....imo. ;)

Your A64 system is still pretty decent. Personally, I don't think switching to an 805 is worth the cash. Either go Core 2 Duo or hold onto what you have until you save up more money.

batboy said:
Your A64 system is still pretty decent. Personally, I don't think switching to an 805 is worth the cash. Either go Core 2 Duo or hold onto what you have until you save up more money.

Agreed. Its not worth it. Sure you might get a 5 maybe 10% more preformance increase but you'll be spending a good amount of cash weather it looks like a little or not. If you look at C2D price point it might cost 2-2.5x more for a low end setup (semi decent mobo, 1-2gig of decent ram and a E6400chip) but you'll be getting nearly a 50%+ preformance increase with an low average OC.

Either way you'll need a new motherboard, new ram and a new CPU, really the big cost change is going to be the CPU, and some more on the motherboard.

Back