• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

so i finally decided to see what my northwood puts out

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

slaytalera

I got superpi and mbm and watched my temps as i did the 32M test. for an hour and 40minutes my Northwood was running at 94-5C. TALK ABOUT HOTTER THEN HELL:mad:

this was with the stock gateway cooler. :bang head i cant believe ive been running like this for 4 years now. im gonna add another fan to the case and dust off the components and hope that brings it down a bit. im seriously concidering turning to water cooling. any suggestion? im saving up for a new rig so it has to last me a while longer.

That's perty dern hot. I don't think I'd spend the $$$ to water cool a Northwood, but that's just me. I'd try to chuck the P4 in favor of a cooler C2D or AM2 rig.

TimoneX said:
That's perty dern hot. I don't think I'd spend the $$$ to water cool a Northwood, but that's just me. I'd try to chuck the P4 in favor of a cooler C2D or AM2 rig.

even if i did id still want to use this to get the basics of water cooling down, ,so i dont risk my new system. man i hate having minimum wage!!!:bang head

A Northwood @ 94 to 95C? I would check what you are reading your temps with. Those are way too high for a Northy.

daunsociable said:
even if i did id still want to use this to get the basics of water cooling down, ,so i dont risk my new system. man i hate having minimum wage!!!:bang head

Risk? What risk? :) Just assemble your loop and test it for leaks for 24 hours prior to install.

ok ill doo that. what are some good starter parts, my dad is a car nut and has some connections so ill get a car radiator for cheap, what about hoses and what not, i want as much of my system on water as possible, northwood at 3.06 stock, and an O/Ced FX5900 ultra:)

Some Tygon tubing is in order.

1/2"
http://www.frozencpu.com/products/2289/ex-tub-28/Tygon_Anti-Kink_12_ID_58_OD_Tubing.html

3/8"
http://www.frozencpu.com/products/2290/ex-tub-29/Tygon_Anti-Kink_38_ID_12_OD_Tubing.html

And then some hose crimps

http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=59

And go to town. Just pick out some stuff and we will be more then happy give our advice on it.

I myself have not really done all that much with W/C so I am no aficianado. But more then happy to lend my wisdom to your decision.

Why don't you just get a decent air CPU cooler?

My 3.0C Northwood never gets over 50C under continuous sustained load (both sides showing 100% on MBM5) with a Thermalright XP-120 and quiet Papst fan running at 1200 rpm.

I'm seconding the air-cooler suggestion. I don't see the point of water-cooling it when running a scythe ninja or really any tower-style cooler would work fine for that Northwood and would likely create less noise than pumps and radiator fans.

Just replace the stock cooler with a decent hsf and make sure it's seated properly with a new application of a TIM like arctic silver ceramique.

:sn:: Additionally, is it possible that your stock cooler's just really, really clogged with dust?

is it even possible for a northwood to run that hot? And for 4 years? lol I think the sensor is not reading properly. Although I'm not saying that cpu isnt hot, but i think full load would be like 65-70 on stock cooling that has a nice layer of dust on the hs and fan.

reading it wrong or.... damaged sensor, not sure...

while its on load, grab a second fan and try to cool the fins of the hsf with more airflow, and see if the temps actually drop a little, if they do drop a few C, it could be the sensor is being read wrong. (instead of reading 60 its reading 90, and in idle it reads "x+30C" instead of "x")...

i hope you get what I mean.

yea i believe i get what you mean. the sensor is (or MBM or whatever driver is behind the sensor...) in your example is adding 30 to whatever the sensor is actually picking up

im gonna go try that right now

I really doubt that an OEM gateway machine has the sensors properly implemented and calibrated; OEM equipment often skimps on sensor chips, resistors, and other support circuitry necessary for properly implementing the thermal monitoring.

Those temperatures simply aren't believable, and I'd expect that thermal protections (clock throttling) would have kicked in by that point. After a small amount of searching, I found evidence that throttling begins around 75C (give or take) and is fully engaged by 80C.

Ditto on the Thermalright or Scythe idea with quiet fan. A good Papst or Panaflo fan will couple well with a Northwood, even with a modest overclock for quite reasonable noise levels.

Your idea about cleaning out the computer, however, is always a good one. ;) -- Paul

use the mbm config wizard to find your mobo and it will list the sensors right... they are FOR SURE being displayed wrong.

also you can get an artic freezer 4 on newegg for like 15 bucks.. one of the best 478 coolers. you will be able to get a good oc with it, i know from experience :)

I dont believe it! This is a socket 478 P4? The CPU will throttle itsself at 75-80°C. The PC would run like crap after it hit those temps, and if you managed to get it to 85°C you would probably have all sorts of system stability issues.

Before I put in my air duct and AS5, my new 3.4E prescott ran to 80°C. It went straight to 80, and PEGGED. Throttled and shut down.

There is no way your Northwood is running at 95C. I believe the maximum thermal spec for a Prescott is 70c. The Northwood would be rated lower than that. You need to use an external heat sensor to find the real temperature, like one of them laser pointer deals.

Back