• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CD2 owners, If you had a chance to start over...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sniper.nkc

C2D owners, If you had a chance to start over...

C2D owners, If you had a chance to start over...

Based on your experience with the purchase of your C2D, ram, cooling, and motherboard, are you happy with your set-up or would you have purchase something different.

Last edited:
i built this after i killed 2 amd boards withing 2 hours of each other, i had like 0 extra money at the time.. but if i couldve, for sure i wouldve gotten ddr800 ram, and at least a 6400, tho a 6600 wouldve been nice. i gotta say this is by far the fastest rig ive ever had, so im still pretty happy :)

this is the best setup I ever owned and its far less buggy then NF3/NF4/AM2 as far as settings and OC, much stabler, much less needless fine tuning.

I am content with everything (even my 6300) except for the ram I have. I should have done more homework in October and got some stuff with Micron d9's but oh well, you live and learn! Otherwise the first Intel rig that I built myself has been great, very happy with it.

I'm happy with both of my setups though if I had it to do again I would reconsider the DS3 (due to ide problems) though I would not exclude it. I would go with the e6400 rather than the e6300 due to the savings on ram and better potential for slightly better performance.

If I had to do over again I should of just went with what I have now and not gone crazy and bought 2 other CPU's and an accidental another :)

I am brand new to OCing, but as far as I am concerned this C2D chip is awesome!! I can run it at 3.0ghz using 2.6v in BIOS vcore and it is stable. The system runs at 36C idle and 44C in orthos and 49C using TAT. All temps recorded with fans running in silent mode.
I had it stable @3.2 but I had to set my RAM to DDR2400 and the temps were a bit high for my liking (I am a chickensh**). They idled @ 39C and under stress rose to 53C.
I also ran it @ 2.7 for a while using 1.325 (37C idle and up to 53C load) vcore and realized I can lower the vcore to lower temps and it will do the 3.0! :)
The only thing that bugs me is I can't seem to use my RAM to its fullest. I have to set it at DDR2600 with 4-4-4-10 timings (the RAM is supposed to be 5-5-5-12) to pass orthos, although it passes TAT @ DDR2800 and 4-4-4-10. If anybody knows how to get it to pass orthos @ DDR2800 please let me know. I have the voltage set to 2.1 in BIOS.
My only regret is not getting the Tuniq Tower, but I like the look of the Zalman and it seems to be cool enough.

I love everybit of my new computer. The motherboard is very solid and user friendly. The DDR 667 ram will do 3-3-3 at 800. Although I don't have a bum processor I really wish I could hit 4Ghz. I like the graphics card although if I'd waited another month I could have gotten a 8800GTS for $50 more, atleast it's purty.

I'm happy with my setup but If I could do it again I'd switch to a Gigabyte S3 and use the extra $$ to get a E6400, over the E6300 I have.

Initially I thought I would completely regret getting my supertalent memory but after finally figuring out the "sweet spot" with it, I'm running 4-4-4-8 on 2.15v. Its awesome in my opinion without trying to push the ram. I got one dilemma, I have gskill on the way and don't know if I should send the super back or not. I hope someone helps me decide lol. But besides that getting the Tuniq Tower was the best 65 dollar investment I have made with a cpu component. So no regrets for me! Even if I have to run a higher vcore voltage than others things are progressing.

I love my new setup!

E6400 @ 2.81GHz 1.31vcore
EVGA 680i
EVGA 8800GTX
Ballistix DDR2 PC10000 @ 4-4-4-12 @ 1.9v

Only thing that is very frustrating right now is trying to find a good aftermarket CPU cooler that I don't have to mod the backplate to fit the 680i board that I have.

I am a little disappionted with the ram i have i can't get the rig to run 24/7 above 385mhz, maybe Santa will bring me some new ram to try in the new year and then i will be very happy.

yeah i was really disappointed with my ocz memory, I am now finally really happy with my supertalent but I got gskill on the way. After some consulting on here about the supertalent and if i should keep it or keep the gskill, im going to have to either rma one of them or I guess sell them to someoone on here or something. But the advantage is I know the right specs now for the supertalent and I can talk to enough people on here to get the gskill setup correctly if I end up keeping that.

If I had a chance to redo it. I would definitely get different memory. Mine stops at 460mhz. Other than that, this system is absolutely amazing.

I would have gotten better cooling for the C2D in my sig. I'm concerned about my load temps come summer. They are a little high with my arctic freezer pro 7 - high 50s- low 60s. I even lapped the IHS and the HS block.

i could not be happier with my setup... i have had 0 problems... i love my e6600... she does 4ghz :attn: , my ram is AMAZING... does 1100mhz @ 2.4v @ stock timings (4-4-4-12) my board i really couldnt ask for more... it does 445 + fsb, has AMAZING oc options and heck the stock nb cooler is really good if you pop a lil 40mm fan on it.... i have never used the wifi on it so i can say n e thing about that.... the board layout is great and everything is in the right spots. My hd setup is AMAZING... 2 250gb perpindicular seagates on matrix raid... amazingly fast... and gfx well i ust to have a 7900gt ko 512, currently i am on a Matrox IS-STORM r2 from 1995... but tommorrow the lil brown truck of joy will be delievering me a brand spankin new 8800gts! from evga!

i wouldnt change a thing... my case MUAHAHHAHAH Lian Li V2000b is AMAZING... and everything else is great... i couldnt be happer plus its like 3 to 4 times faster than my old system and twice as fast as my friends x2 4400 :)

I feel the same as meionm, but I found someone wanting to spend lots more on a little more performance, so we're swapping :).

Back