• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Recomendations for Live CD Virus Removal

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

FishDog3

I would like to create a live cd that I can install one or I guess even several virus scanners/spyware scanners onto in order to have a bootable live cd to scan Winblows systems without booting up the OS or loading the MBR.

My goal is to have a live cd that I can run while having the infected system removed from the network.

I was thinking that it would be possible to do this with Knoppix or maybe Ubuntu, or some small administration linux distro and some free virus scanners such as F-Prot, AVG and such.

Does anyone have any recommendations in this regards?

Thanks

Found exactly what I needed, it's called INSERT, it's a small linux distro that runs as a live cd and contains a boatload of administrative tools.

It also has both clamAV, and the ability, if you have a compatible network card, to download and update the current versions of clamAV's database, as well as F-PROT.

Along with that, it also contains ntfs-3g for mounting the NTFS drives/partitions to fix your local Windoze system. Note that in order to recursively scan (scan the sub directories of the mount points) you need to run clamAV from the command line/terminal. Instructions on CLI switches for running clamAV are on their site.

You can obtain INSERT here: http://www.inside-security.de/insert_en.html

Back