• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Where exactly do I add the SSE3 flag?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Misfit138

I got these flags from Gentoo's safe flags page for my AMD X2, which I will be running in 32bit mode, x86.

CHOST="i686-pc-linux-gnu"
CFLAGS="-march=athlon64 -O2 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer"
CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS}"
I will also be adding MAKEOPTS="-j3"
My question is where do I add -msse3 ?
Like this: CFLAGS="-march=athlon64 -O2 -pipe -msse3 -fomit-frame-pointer" (?)

klingens said:

Thank you!

Question B.
From the Gentoo Install Guide:
"When the kernel has finished compiling, copy the kernel image to /boot. Use whatever name you feel is appropriate for your kernel choice and remember it as you will need it later on when you configure your bootloader. Remember to replace kernel-2.6.17-gentoo-r5 with the name and version of your kernel."

Where will the compiled kernel be copied FROM? Will it be in /usr/src/linux ?

/usr/src/linux is where they usually are if you use symlinks otherwise is may be in /usr/src/linux kernel version. More specifically, it could be in the /arch/i386 directory. It has been a long time since I compiled a kernel so my memory may be a little hazy.

Seems like I used to issue a command like "make modules_install && make install" and everything would be moved to the proper place only needing to run lilo to be done. I don't know if that will work with gentoo or even the 2.6 kernel.

Suicide Al said:
/usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot/bzImage

yes, kernel config goes as such:
Code:
$ su -
password:

# cd /usr/src/linux
# make menuconfig
[config kernel]
# make && make modules_install
# cp arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot/kernel
# reboot

splat said:
yes, kernel config goes as such:
Code:
$ su -
password:

# cd /usr/src/linux
# make menuconfig
[config kernel]
# make && make modules_install
# cp arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot/kernel
# reboot

Be sure to make sure the bootloader knows where to find the kernel, before rebooting :p

All excellent info! Thank you all so very much. I fear the unknown, and like to be prepared if I can. :p
:beer:

David said:
Be sure to make sure the bootloader knows where to find the kernel, before rebooting :p

I should have mentioned I was assuming that whoever follows that has their system setup like mine.

I use Grub and I simple overwrite my old kernel everytime I rebuild. This is not always the best practice because it leave's you no life-raft if the new kernel doesn't work. You may want to consider moving your old kernel to something like /boot/kernel-old and creating a new grub/lilo entry to allow you to boot into it if the new kernel is not configured correctly.

and remember, if you use lilo, you need to run /sbin/lilo after making any changes to the menu config file.

I have no old kernel per se, this is just information gathering for my first attempt at a fresh Gentoo install.
(With a wife, 2 kids, dogs, job, and life, I have to get this info in my in-between-time :p )

Back