• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Member Welcome Mat !

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Greetings to everyone on this site, hope I can make some new friends!!

Hello everyone, I would like to take a few minutes of your time to introduce myself and tell you all a little bit about my computer history. I am not involved in computers professionally in anyway, just an enthusiast, but my computer history is a bit spotty.. I started out with a Commodore Vic-20 in the 80's (I'm 32), graduated to an Amiga 500 in 1988-89, and thats when the fun began. I began upgrading that thing like mad. When all was said and done, my BAD-*** amiga 500 had a 7.14 Mhz 68000 Motorola proc, AmigaDos 1.3, 1 full megabyte of ram, and a 10 megabyte hard disk. Oh, yeah, I had a 2400 Baud modem, and 3 floppy drives. As you can imagine, it was the envy of the neighborhood. Then Commodore went belly-up around 1994-1995, and I swore off computers until 2005. Fast forward about 10 years, and I find myself purchasing a computer in front of a pawn shop(not in it, but from a guy outside) for 100 bucks. AMD athlon proc, 1 gig ram, and a geforce 4 vidcard. Just enough to whet my appetite. After all was said and done, I upgraded it as much as its agp slot and 32 bit proc. would let me, and this year, in January, I built my first ever PC from scratch. Current set-up is:

e8400 @ 3.16 stock
asus P5N-d 750i
2 x 8800 Ultra vid cards, stock
8 gigs 6400 ram
2 x 150GB raptor drives
2 other HD @ 280 GB storage space
22x dvd writer drive
creative x-fi titanium card

Oh, and since my mobo has stupid SATA ports that are covered by my vid cards, I have to use a PCI sata controller to hook up the other 2 sata devices that wont fit in the normal spots (2 of my HDs are IDE).

Anyway, my latest dilemma has been loading Vista 64 ultimate, switching from xp 32. XP was stable as all hell, but I figured Id go for more ram and maybe a performance boost, but since Ive installed vista, Ive had problems.. crashes, and not being able to get programs to work. So, I decided I needed to join some type of online community and get some help.. Anyone want to help?

Forgot to say my greetings here as I am a new comer as well.

Hello to all of you! Hopefully, this forum would broaden my knowledge about computers on what's hot and what's not.

i.gif

i.gif

Greetings all. Just joined to do some reading on overclocking. I never gave OC much thought before, but I was talking to a friend and laid out my gaming rig specs. It had a Core i7 950 spec'd out at like $560 and he recommended I research getting a 920 instead and OC. I was amazed to see people getting 4 ghz on air! That blows away the several hundred dollar more expensive 950 hehe. Soo, here I am, reading till my eyes water lol.

My rig (at least, my spec. Going to Philly tomorrow to preview Nvidia's stereoscopic 3D before I pull the trigger on it):
Asus P6T Deluxe V2
Core i7 920 retail
Thermalright Ultra 120 True Black cooler
2 Thermalright 1300rpm 120mm fans for the cooler
Corsair 6GB DDR3 1600 kit TR3X6G1600C8
EVGA Geforce GTX 285 1GB video card
G.Skill Falcon 128GB SSD
Thermaltake Shark case
Plextor 22x DVD burner
Enermax EVO 1250W PSU
NEC 3.5" drive (yea, I actually still use floppies lol)
Nvidia stereoscopic 3D glasses
Samsung SyncMaster 22" 120hz LCD
Customizer 104/105 keyboard (a modern Type-M)
Logitech SBF-90 mouse (cheap but I love the shape)
Sabrent memory card reader

As for non-OC rig related data; I'm a 34 year old guy, work in IT, drive an old 88 Accord and a 94 Bronco, like riding motorcycles, have a full height Dell server rack in my garage for my servers (firewall box, webserver, infrastructure, 14tb fileserver, MySQL sql server) and live in Pennsylvania.

Nice to meet ya'll :)

Hi, I'm an enthusiast with a passion for ultra stable systems that I can hammer the holy freak out of for the next few years without worrying :)

My record is a test build for WinXP32 (P4 2.8 + Asus at stock) that I could run god knows how much on simultaneously (usb router, movies, vmware, hundreds of simultaneous browser tabs, skype, LAN file server, P2P, background processes, simulations for work, younameit...) and it just refused to crash. I eventually powered it down manually after 90 days non-stop 24/7 use in the front line. I figured I should have updated it for security a month or two back, but you know how it gets you... when its been running a while you've got to know how long it can keep going! :) It's kinda redefined my idea of what I want from a "stable" machine. I don't think I'll see that kind of record unless I eventually migrate to Linux ;)

I just joined today (my joining post) because my current system's unstable (Q6600 + Abit IP35 Pro XE) even at stock, and some things suggest heating+mobo, other symptoms suggest PSU, and overall it's a case of godknowswhat :) and it's a good time to discuss before moving to OC it :) There's probably more than one thing that's needing fixing first :) Good job if you can figure out from the description and tests to date what's up! :)

Once I get it stable, then I turn it up a bit :) And maybe, move to i7 in a while :)

Nice to meet you all! :)

Last edited:
I've always sort of overlooked this thread until today. I wondered why this Mat guy was so popular as to generate a 5-page welcome thread.

Now I realize I've been here much too long. :)

Welcome newbies!

I've always sort of overlooked this thread until today. I wondered why this Mat guy was so popular as to generate a 5-page welcome thread.

Now I realize I've been here much too long. :)

Welcome newbies!

hahaha, i saw the title and last poster: Jon, I think to myself (wtf? he's a mod isn't he?)

Hello, I am new here, as I have recently became interested in building a custom PC. I hope to find browsing these forums an enjoyable experience.

EDIT: I hope you help me on the subject of computer hardware(and software) as speedsolving.com taught me about rubik's cubes.

Discovered this forum by chance on a Google search :p. This forum has already helped me greatly in understanding OC'ing and various other things, and gave me a few laughs already, i hope to be here for awhile :)

Hi all,

As you can probably realise I'm new to this forum so would like to welcome myself.

My name is Steve Wade and I'm currently about to start my final year at university in the UK.

I have managed to built my own PC and am now looking at building my own server to make me truely remote

Hey all im newwwww and ive been reading info on this site for a while now and finally did my first Oc, got my asus p5n32-e sli to 445mhz fsb and my e8500 up to 4.23, and I think i still have rooom!

Back