• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I have this eVGA 512MB 7900GT... any point in messing with BIOS/voltage?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Gregory_WE

This is the card right here: http://www.evga.com/products/moreinfo.asp?pn=512-P2-N568-AR&family=22

With stock BIOS and voltage and everything it appears to max out around 675/810, which is pretty good IMO. It's cooled by a Zalman VF900-Cu so temps are fine, plus I have good airflow.

Anyways, do many people flash their 7900's to different BIOS, like maybe I could flash mine to a GTX since this is pretty close to a GTX I'd say, or, is there a fairly safe voltage increase I could do to crank a little more out of it?

I haven't had this card for very long and I just now have some time to play around with it.

Yeah, 675 on the core is crazy. I had to volt mod mine to get it that high. I'd keep it where that sucker is.

Well it's not a true 7900GT, it's basically a GTX, just seems like the mem isn't quite as fast (only 810).

And actually, 675 was just the max with ATI Tool... I'm testing it a bit more right now and I'm running at 695 and no artifacts in 3DMark06.

Looks like the max is around 715/810 in 3DMark testing.

It appears as if this card (the 512MB 7900GT KO) comes with 1.45V already on the core, so that'd explain why the core OC is pretty damn good. I'm considering modding the memory voltage a bit since the mem OC isn't quite as good as the core. But either way, still a good card.

My temps seem like they could be a little on the high end of what I'd want though, full load running ATI tool or 3DMark looped it can get up to around 74C (idle is 42C), and this is with a VF-900 on it.

Yeah, prepare for hot temps with 1.45v I have the 1.4v on my liquid (looking to push more) but those temps are hot hot hot!

So are you saying that my temps are normal based on the voltage and clock speed, or are they still rather high? Just doing a single run of 3DMark it'll only get up to say 65-66C usually, but if i run it looped it'll climb up to 74C

That is sexy...long live eVGA. If your loading out at 74C with some really nice clocks, I'd say its at its limit as far as OCing goes without a vmod and better cooling.

Gregory_WE said:
So are you saying that my temps are normal based on the voltage and clock speed, or are they still rather high? Just doing a single run of 3DMark it'll only get up to say 65-66C usually, but if i run it looped it'll climb up to 74C

I am saying those temps are expected for such a high clock with that voltage.

Ok, well I tried the mem volt mod (only took it from 2.00 to 2.15) and it didn't seem to really help all that much (maybe 30-40 more on the memory) so just took it off and am gonna stay where I am.

Gregory_WE said:
Ok, well I tried the mem volt mod (only took it from 2.00 to 2.15) and it didn't seem to really help all that much (maybe 30-40 more on the memory) so just took it off and am gonna stay where I am.

A sensible decision.

A lot of results I have seen have the RAM maxing out at 800MHz. It's all the further I can go on it too. But Core OC vs RAM OC... Core owns it for performance.

Back