• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ATI and Edgy Eft

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

blueswitch

ok so I have Ubuntu Edgy on my laptop (sig) and am finding ATI is a bigger pain than Nvidia. So far I have gotten the display to work in the wide screen native resolution...and acceleration appaers to be working better (window dragging isn't chunky anymore) but I don't think it's working 100%. I am using the fglrx driver...trying to follow some driver guides but they all seem to have you do different things....how do you guys get your ATI cards acceleration to work?

fglrxinfo displays:

Xlib: extension "XFree86-DRI" missing on display ":0.0".
display: :0.0 screen: 0
OpenGL vendor string: Mesa project: www.mesa3d.org
OpenGL renderer string: Mesa GLX Indirect
OpenGL version string: 1.2 (1.5 Mesa 6.5.1)

so I don't think acceleration is working.

that guide isn't working, it says it can't find package module-assistant

if I skip that step once it goes to install the drivers package it says platform unsupported.

what drivers should I be using? It seems there are a few ATI drivers out there. Even though I have installed fglrx and xorg.confg I set t use driver="fglrx" when I run fglrxinfo it says mesa

Last edited:
cd to the correct folder. Then it can install. I ran into the same issue. I had it in a folder I created and cd'ed to thar folder during the install process.

Did you do?

sudo apt-get update

You can even grab the actual driver off ati.com and do a manual install/ It is not as hard as it used to be. Every release is actually getting better.

If you did grab the file manually. You could omit most of the steps and just get to the installing part. Just start from the
Installing the new driver part, and go from there.

I do know some mobile chipsets are or were having issues. Since I do not have a mobile chipset. I honestly don't know which ones or if it is fixed yet.

yeah it might be working, firefox scrolling and window drags are smooth, and I was just messing with Beryl and when I switch to XGL you can tell Im losing video card power because it runs horrible. Don't know If im at 100%

If it shows Mesa Project in the vendor string instead of ATI. The driver is not in all the way or installed correctly.

Sir. BOBSONATOR said:
boot into recovery mode, (esc on grub) and type

modprobe fglrx

fglrxinfo still says mesa, I might try to you uninstall the drivers and put them back.

Back