• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

BASH problem.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ssjwizard

Has slightly less legible writing than Thideras
ok so i have ben using SUSE 10.1 I386 on my wifes computer and its ben working great, but now that ive got all the yast avalible packages i want in i need to add a few packages from source manualy. however BASH is not working right il l show you with a few example outputs from it.

here are 2 examples of the output im geting from my terminal window.

bash: ./flashplayer-installer: /bin/sh: bad interpreter: Permission denied
glowballgds:/download/downloads/install_flash_player_7_linux # ./flashplayer-installer
bash: ./flashplayer-installer: /bin/sh: bad interpreter: Permission denied
glowballgds:/download/downloads/install_flash_player_7_linux #

glowballgds:/download/zsnes/ZSNESS_1112 # ./configure
bash: ./configure: /bin/sh: bad interpreter: Permission denied
glowballgds:/download/zsnes/ZSNESS_1112 #

one person at linux forums recomended it was a link error so he sugested

Try this
su
ln -s /bin/bash /bin/sh

The script is requesting an interpreter, /bin/sh, an old shell. We are linking the old shell to a new shell (bash)

following that instruction i still run into the exact same error no mater what im tring to compile.

i tried going into yast and doing a force update on BASH and its still having trouble, i attempted to take it completly out and put it back in but its a dependancy of far to many packages for me to have to manualy reinstall them and using the ignore dependancy didnt work so i dont know what to do next.

why don't You want to add a source to Yast and to install from there.... or just login fully as root and then try....

well for the flash problem i probably could do that, however ZSNES isnt avalible as a binary package for SUSE or atleast not that i know of. and Snes9X iritates me. besides i get that error for any software i try to manualy compile. an issue i dont run into on my suse 10.1 X86_64, or any other linux ive run,

hmmzz.... maybe Your new bash isn't compatible or smth like that... if there is an oportunity i would try to get back the old one and to try then. Sometimes new things are not so good as they could be ;)

thank you, it was a file system problem those files were sitting on a fat32 shared partition and that was causing the problem

just for the record, even though the issue is solved - sh is not technically the same as bash. While sh is symlinked to bash on modern *nixen (most of the time; a recent version of Slowlaris I used didn't have bash, just sh), bash itself behaves differently when invoked as sh. bash is sh-compatible; sh, however, is not bash-compatible.
If bash is invoked with the name sh, it tries to mimic the startup behavior of historical versions of sh as closely as possible, while conforming to the POSIX standard as well.
Please see bash(1) for more information...whatever the POSIX standard is...

Just being picky. :)

Back