• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sun Solaris

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TempliNocturnus

I've been contemplating pursuing a certification for Solaris 10 administration. I'm curious as to what kind of things this operating system is used for, and what kind of companies look for people with this certification. It also seems that Sun has a lot of open source software, could this be because they're not doing so well? Would anyone recommend to not pursue Sun OS certs?

From what i have seen It is either Huge companies that have Sun running or companies that buy it second hand. It is all ways good to get certified on anything you can. All it is going to do is make your more knowledgeable or worth more money. I am studying for the Sun Certs myself and i think it will be well worth the money in the end.

Yeah, I'm prolly gonna do what you're doing and pursue it. I got my Network+ a couple days ago, and now I'm going to study for Security+. After that, I'll start preparing for the Solaris Admin cert. In the mean time, I'm probably going to download and install Solaris 10 on one of my machines.

Even if Sun does go downhill, their OS is based on Unix and Sun certs would just look better on the resume. If I remember correctly, I believe a government weather alert facility had Solaris installed on their machines. And a job search at dice revealed that there's afew places that want you to know Sun OSes.

Solaris is mainly a server OS. For big servers. It once was a workstation OS too, e.g. GEDA tools, CAD and the likes but cheap PC with NT and Linux killed that. Now it's only for (big) serves anymore..

Solaris always was sort of big with open software (NFS/NIS was developed by Sun and made freely available). In recent years after the dotcom boom Sun got big problems, which prompted them to release itself Solaris as OpenSource OS under a License incompatible with the GPl, the CDDL. Just like any oter real Unix vendor they bundled lots of GPLed and other Free software into the default bundle of their OS/platform.

While Solaris hasn't been doing so well in recent years it's by no means dead. It's still worthwhile to learn about it, just don't concentrate only on it: the time of Solaris only shops is past. Don't neglect your Linux and BSD knowledge.

We use solaris on our ssh gateway, web-server, two development servers and a server offering services to some outside parties. All of the sun boxes are fairly old, and will probably be replaced by Linux. We do have one Sun T1000 which is being evaluated, and if it's found to be good we will get a bunch of them to use as a front end for a distributed application (java and databases).

My previous job used Solaris and Aix for almost everything (that was not windows). Even there I noticed a few Linux deployments during last year, but out of 500 servers I was maintaining it was maby 5.

One thing I would only install on Solaris is Oracle.

If you want to get into unix administration, a Solaris 10 cert is definitly a step in the right direction. Solaris is is a top notch server os and is in use at many large coorporations and is generally thought of as good for mission critical uses (rock solid stable). you won't regret a getting a solaris 10 cert.

Solaris 10 has been a big hit, so you won't be disappointed. It's used in banks and telecom carriers in a big way.
What a way to start my posts here. Hello all!

---
osgeek blog

Back