• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

"CPU Fan has Failed"

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Red_Hot_Poker

Hey all I have a problem...

I was cleaning out my computer today and was making sure everything was secure inside when i accidently hit the cpu fan blade and broke one.:bang head

So i went out and bought one of these...

http://www.coolermaster.com/index.p...uct&ftype=&p_serial=RR-KIF-L9E1&other_title=0

Well, I took out the old Heatsink and installed this one to the mobo and then attatched the 3pin wire to where the old one was connected. Now when i start up the PC it detects the HDD and DVD Drive and such but then it goes to a black screen that just says "CPU Fan has failed. PC will Shutdown to prevent harm to your computer."

I don't understand why its like this, I figured if I just plugged it in to the same 3 pin connector it would start right up. I also tried to connect it to another 3 pin connector on the mobo and same prob. Im typing this on a friends PC atm becuase i cannot even start up min to get on web lol...any help would be appriciated.

Does your new fan have an RPM sensor wire on it or just a red and black wire?

Edit: Bah, silly me, you can always disable the cpu fan detect feature in the bios.

Try resetting the mobo BIOS. I get wonky things like that once in a while and resetting the BOIS usually fixes the issues. Hope it works for you.

I cannot get into the bios, when it starts detecting things I hit F-1 and it does not go into the bios and just pops up with same screen.

It has a red/black wire and a red/blue wire( wich is the sensor ).

yea, as long as the fan is defiantly spinning, just go into your bios and disable the feature.

darkcow said:
yea, as long as the fan is defiantly spinning, just go into your bios and disable the feature.

But thats the problem lol i can't even get into the bios, I hit f1 and it says "Entering Setup" but it goes to black screen and says the "Cpu fan has failed" before i can even get into it...

well, in that case get your old fan, even if its broken, just plug it into the mobo, but leave your new heatsink on. and then change the settings.

the heatsink should work well without a fan running for a few mins, but don't stress test with the fan off lol.

Red_Hot_Poker said:
But thats the problem lol i can't even get into the bios, I hit f1 and it says "Entering Setup" but it goes to black screen and says the "Cpu fan has failed" before i can even get into it...
Hit F1 again to continue traditionally is all you have to do to get past that.

Speed sensor fans use 3 wires.

Your new fan has 2 wires, thus the bios thinks the fan has failed.

Use a 3 wire fan to boot into the bios and change the bios to ignore the fan state.

Then put on your new good fan and go have fun.

I went into the bios and could not find anything about the fan.

Weird thing is i had the new heatsink fan pluigged into one of the 3 pin connectors and the old fan plugged into another 3 pin connector and the PC started up fine. BUt after a few seconds the new HS fan shutdown but pc did not...

But i went into bios and could not find anything to do with the fan, or fan sensor or anything of that name.

and my mistake it has a red/blue/black wire and a red/black wire( sensor i assume) i didnt see that other black wire before -.-

I have a sempron AMD 3200 Processor and a MSI 7184 Mobo. But coul dhaving a 250W PSU be the problem...?

Ya my bios doesnt have anything that says that its Pheonix Bios and it just has options for Boot Priority, hardware monitor ( wich does bring me to fan speed and temps, but they are all greyed out and i cannot change anything it has no options.) Sorry to be a pain it just sucks that this fan does not work with my Mobo. I hooked up a regular 90mm fan to the 3 pin connector and it boots up, and also the old broken fan lets it boot up as well. If i cut the sensor wires and just have the 3 main red/blue/black wires would that maybe work? Or is there a program i can get to that would let me change the fan settings, becuase i can just hook up my old fan for a min and try to do it that way...

I just can't find anything or even anything close to an option that would let me disable the fan sensor. I also tried to reset default settings and that also had no fix.

you can always do what I did when I had watercooling. just get a 60mm case fan or something, plug it into cpu slot, and i dont know, use it as ram cooling or something. In your case just get a 4pin to 3pin connector and just plug your cpu fan into that. ofcourse, then you have your cpu fan running at 100% constantly, but who doesnt want a cool cpu?

Back