• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ok, im not the kinda guy who knows his HTPC stuff.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

darkcow

ok, i have this nice set of Y R W cable.. god, i don't know the techy name for it, but all i know is that its a yellow cable, with a white, and then a red. lol.

and then i have this HD cable. its Green, then blue, then red.

both have 3 connections, but i know the YRW can do audio where the hd cable can't but this isn't the question.

are the cables the same? is the YRW and GBR cables esentialy made of the same stuff? like.. what makes those cables different, besides their use and color. i just want a more... what is it made of type of answer. like. are they all interchangeable to a point where there is no loss in quality. (as in plug in a white cable where a green one should go)

because what im trying to figure out here is that i have a 7600gt BFG card and it came with a converter so i can plug it up to my hd-tv (which has a GBR female ports) with a YRW cable that i have laying around. this is because i could really do with saving those 20 bucks for a cable on gas.

(note this isn't about audio, purely video only, i have a nice stereo speaker system for that :) )

same cables ... just different colors.... if you by some chance have HDMI input on ur hdtv, use a dvi to hdmi converter and then run a hdmi cable to your tv, you will get WAY better picture quality with the dvi even at the same resoltuion.

the yellow cable in the "r-w-y" set is a 75 ohm video/digital cable. not exactly the same as the rest, although it may look it.

hdmi is the bomb , but cables are way expensive . I paid 80bux for a 4 footer from CC when I got my TV 56" DLP just fanominal picture quality

yea, i have a really nice HDMI cable for the HDTV satellite receiver, but i just don't wanna spend the money on another damn cable lol.

thanks for the replies though, im just going to use the YWR cables until i get a dvi-HDMI converter, but then that would be kinda annoying to have to switch it out every time, but o well, it could be worth it

silent bob said:
hdmi is the bomb , but cables are way expensive . I paid 80bux for a 4 footer from CC when I got my TV 56" DLP just fanominal picture quality
Wow, that's rediculous! I guess if you need it you need it though. There's a cable store down the street from me where I buy all my cat5 and such, I went down there the other day and got a 6ft dvi->hdmi cable for like 17 bux :santa:

silent bob said:

PWN3D!

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=181-731

The cables you can get at PE are some of the best bang for your buck on the market. Brick stores like CC and Worst Buy charge an astronomical amount for their cables.

Also, the standard Y-W-R is called RCA Composite hookups, and are 85ohm cables. Higher grade will be the 75ohm digital thoroughput cables. Aka Digital Coaxial also.
The R-G-B cables are called Digital RCA Component Cables. They are almost always 75ohm double stranded cables, and are good for up to 1080p (not in all cases, depends on output source and input reciever/TV).
DVI-I (basic spec for DVI capable TV's) are the classic DVI that we all use for our LCD monitors on our desktops (with the exception of some different formats for higher colour and such)
HDMI is the new HDTV standard, is a bit higher bandwidth capable then DVI, and also includes a Digital Audio signal track so both your audio and video can come from a high end DVD player, or HDDVD/Blue Ray player.

Last edited:
Back