• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Long time AMD guy going Core Duo 2

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AEsnowboarding

Been looking at these new Intel CPU's for awhile and I am also looking to upgrade to duel core. AMD doesn't look so appealing anymore and it seems like they lost a step in the CPU market. So I am looking for a good CPU/Mobo/Ram combo that can get me up and running on Intel for the first time ever. I will be overclocking, nothing too hard core but a mild overclock.

Here is the cpu I was looking at
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819115005

Now, not knowing anything about Intel I have no idea what a good board is, I have around 150$ to spend on a motherboard, maybe a little more. Also I am going to need some advice on DDR2 memory since I have never touched the stuff. I want the memory to be able to overclock well, I have about 225$ to spend on memory.

basically, with a c2d, you run your memory 1:1 with the fsb.

the e6300 has a multi of 7, and a stock fsb of 266, so 7*266=1862mhz. if you crank up the fsb to 400, you will get 2800mhz (7*400). your ram will also be running at 400mhz, or ddr2-800. if you want to OC past 2.8ghz, you will need ram that can do higher speeds than ddr2-800. 3.5ghz needs 500fsb, and ram that can do ddr2-1000. ram with micron d9 chips can do these speeds, at tight timings, but you would be looking at around $300 give or take.

you could save money on ram by going with a e6400, because it has a multi of 8, and your ram won't have to work so hard.

i went the e6300/fast ram route..

E6400

How much ram? 1 or 2 gigs?

Mobo.. my fav. motherboard that overclocks FSB well is the Asus P5B-Deluxe

cheapest that will do the job for that CPU is the Biostar TForce 965PT

I was in the same boat. Been with AMD since the 1.4ghz Tbird first came out...prob about six (6) years now.

Finally switched back to INTEL with a core2duo. Found a great sale at Frys for an ECS motherboard and E6400 cpu for under $200. Picked this up a couple of months ago. Assembled that as a TEST machine and researched motherboards for an upgrade.

Finally decided on the Asus P5W-DH Deluxe. It has an outstanding record for high overclocks and of all the "newer" high performance motherboards this one still had two (2) IDE controllers which is what I needed.

I needed the two (2) IDE controllers to handle 2 harddrives and 2 DVD drives. And since my harddrives are still good didn't want to have to switch over to SATA (yet).

All in all this combo proved very nice for me. Currently running my E6400 @ 3200ghz (400x8) and perfectly stable on stock vcore.

Very impressive for me. Not sure how much farther this motherboard/CPU will go, but I'm quite happy with 3200.

:)

I'm NOT missing AMD one bit.

Tarl

The E6300 uses a low multiplier, so if you plan on overclocking, you'll want your motherboard and RAM to handle high FSB. For something in the "good but cheaper range", you'll probably want either a Gigabyte DS3 or Asus P5B Deluxe.

don't feel bad about the switch, it ended my 7-8 year AMD reign and it was well worth it.

Dkizzy: Wow really putting 1.6V through it for 3.5Ghz? Is that your 24/7 clock?

I was an AMD guy for a year :)

yeah death, temps are good though i was under 60 around 56-57 on the TAT and I was at 62 tops on coretemp, but 3.6 is becoming quite a pain for me. I posted a SS after achieving 3.5. I don't know why its taking me so many volts compared to everyone else. Instead of kicking it at 1.65v it looks like 1.66-1.67 is going to be the only way I get it stable at 3.6. My temps will be like 67-68 on coretemp right now and it comes up as 63 in TAT, my good cooling is probably the only reason I got up to 3.5 at such a high vcore. If its going to go above 65 in TAT and above 70 in coretemp I'm just going to say screw the extra 100mhz cause my temps were amazingly good at 3.5 with such a high vcore.

Back