• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

remotely connect Xp Pro to Kubuntu?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Silver

Senior Citizen (aka old fart)
I have no idea on how to remotely connect from my main machine (xp pro) to Kubuntu but I know xp pro has remote access and I see an option for remote access on Kubuntu. Is it possible to remotely access a linux machine from xp pro? Appreciate the help guys/gals as this appears to be the best option for my upcoming folding plans.

Using VNC to connect to a Kubuntu machine from a Windows machine has some known issues, frequently the kubuntu box terminates the connection. The linux remote connection works fine from a kubuntu box to other linux boxes and any Windows machine that has VNC server running. I'm at work right now and have to go, but if you need more info, shoot me a PM. :)

You would think that entering the ip would be good enough. Oh well.

edit: Went ahead and ordered a second four port kvm.

Last edited:
Silver said:
I have no idea on how to remotely connect from my main machine (xp pro) to Kubuntu but I know xp pro has remote access and I see an option for remote access on Kubuntu. Is it possible to remotely access a linux machine from xp pro? Appreciate the help guys/gals as this appears to be the best option for my upcoming folding plans.

well if You don't need any graphics, u can use ssh server on linux and putty on windows to connect to linux. Everything can be done in terminal :beer:

freenx, X server, xvncserver, ssh, etc.

tons of choices. Maybe you should tell us what you wanna do and we tell you what to use?

i always use SSH to access *nix from windows, and rdesktop to access windows from *nix.

Back