• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New rig wont boot.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

darkcow

OK, heres the deal, fans spin, lights turn on, hard-drive spins, but the keyboard/usb/mouse will not turn on and there is no post.

specs:

asrock 775 dual-vsta
e6400
1gb f2-6400cl4d-1gpbk (2x 512 g.skill)
antec neoHE 550psu
nvidia AGP 6200.

i've tried:

1)switch out vid. card w/ 5700
2)switch ram into diffrent slots, and tried ddr1 ram.
3)unplugged everything except essentials
4)reset the cmos.

what i havn't tried

1)get a diffrent set of ddr2
2)diffrent mobo
3)diffrent cpu
4)diffrent case

any ideas? or do you think i should go ahead and get a rma on this mobo?

Check CPU is seated properly with no bent pins. Use a magnifying glass to be sure none are touching.

Check HS is seated properly with AS5 spread out smoothly.

Check 12v supply is plugged in to board.

Check that you actually have a physical speaker plugged in; many cases don't supply that anymore.

Remove video card, unplug keyboard, unplug mouse. The system should beep that these things are missing.

well, i dont have a speaker, or a case that has one, so i guess ill yank the one out of my computer and use that, but currently its like.. christmas so i've got better things to do.

I think its dead. I had a similar problem, although my booted first right into the bios, then when I restated it never turn on again. Fans would spin and all but no video, no beeping. I had to rma it.

Read the manual. You might have to have a CPU fan in a certain header for the board to boot.

Make sure the power supply isn't set to 220 (if you're in the US.)

Clear the CMOS.

Use only one stick of memory for now.

Remove the board from the case and make sure there isn't a mounting post in the wrong place.

Check the 24 pin power connector. Sometimes they're hard to push down. Make sure it clicks into place.

Over the years I've must have bought a dozen boards for myself, as well as boards for other people. I've never had a bad one. That doesn't mean it doesn't happen. It just means that, in my experience, it's actually rare when a board is bad.

The symptoms you mentioned mirror very closely what occurs if you do NOT have your 12v CPU connector plugged all the way in on the motherboard. Double check it.

Tarl said:
The symptoms you mentioned mirror very closely what occurs if you do NOT have your 12v CPU connector plugged all the way in on the motherboard. Double check it.

did that, and in the process of checking all of the connections i received many bruises and cuts... i dont like this case very much, way to many sharp edges.

Back