• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is Overclockix still being developed?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

uclajd

I ran the 3.79 LiveCD and it is quite buggy. It would be the best distro I have seen if everything worked. I can't get BOINC or Linux Folding server to work.

Boinc has connection errors, and Linux Folding server just quits.

Can it be ported to a USB flash drive?

FWIW, I just started using Linux, for distro computing purposes.

If someone could get me booting Overclockix on a USB drive with fully functioning BOINC and F@H, I'd donate my ~900 PPD the Overclocker's team. :D

Merry Christmas. :santa:

I don't think it is, because there have been a couple debian releases and its yet to be updated. Just grab the latest ubuntu, and install F@H. Make sure its the 64bit one though, you can run the SMP client. Just look in the FAH section and see the insane PPD people are getting.

Actually,I didn't fully mention my needs. I'm trying to run off a USB drive for some other rigs/parts I have lying around. For instance, a Dell E1505 mobo I got on ebay that I stuck my old 1.6 Yonah and RAM into. I figured a low wattage (~40 without HDD or LCD) distro machine, why not? So Ubuntu won't work, and no 64-bit. I am typing this on my main lappy, E1705, and I got both BOINC and F@H installed booting Puppy Linux off of a USB stick. Jesus H the CPU client runs slow, even on my C2D (Merom) @ 2.16. I am spoiled by my desktop GPU ramming through WUs in under 9 hours. :D

Too bad about Overclockix, some very cool ideas and apps on it. I'll have to come back to linux when I have some time to learn it in detail.

I might give Bart'sPE a go...

dicecca112 said:
I don't think it is, because there have been a couple debian releases and its yet to be updated. Just grab the latest ubuntu, and install F@H. Make sure its the 64bit one though, you can run the SMP client. Just look in the FAH section and see the insane PPD people are getting.

uclajd said:
Actually,I didn't fully mention my needs. I'm trying to run off a USB drive for some other rigs/parts I have lying around. For instance, a Dell E1505 mobo I got on ebay that I stuck my old 1.6 Yonah and RAM into. I figured a low wattage (~40 without HDD or LCD) distro machine, why not? So Ubuntu won't work, and no 64-bit. I am typing this on my main lappy, E1705, and I got both BOINC and F@H installed booting Puppy Linux off of a USB stick. Jesus H the CPU client runs slow, even on my C2D (Merom) @ 2.16. I am spoiled by my desktop GPU ramming through WUs in under 9 hours. :D

Too bad about Overclockix, some very cool ideas and apps on it. I'll have to come back to linux when I have some time to learn it in detail.

I might give Bart'sPE a go...

Try disabling EIST in the bios. I have a bug with Ubuntu 6.10 where because of FAH priority settings it doesn't ram up the speed and instead leaves EIST in action...so you have a much lower (1GHz) speed than you normally have...thus FAH is really really slow.

With OCix gone, here's what I've been using:
http://reilly.homeip.net/folding/

It's not what Overclockix was or aimed to be, but the site does have excellent diskless distros. The USB stick version is especially useful as it saves the machine's progress so that in the event of instability or catastrophic power failure, you don't lose the WU.

Back