• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

laptop, Ubuntu mounting NTFS

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

blueswitch

ok so I have ubuntu setup on my laptop, but for some reason the windows partition doesn;t show up. This is a laptop with windows and ubuntu on same HDD. I know windows is on hda1 and I tried mount /dev/hda1 with no luck. Running edgy. before I had no problems right from install but windows sat on a seperate HDD not just partition.

that looks interesting, but before I mess with using beta drivers to write to NTFS I kinda just want to get Ubuntu to read from it. my NTFS is not in fstab....so thats the problem but never added a drive before. Here is my disk -L output:

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/hda1 * 1 8713 69987141 7 HPFS/NTFS
/dev/hda2 8969 9733 6144862+ 83 Linux
/dev/hda3 8714 8968 2048287+ 82 Linux swap / Solaris

Partition table entries are not in disk order

I tried following a guide where it had me mkdir /media/windows to do it....but then the windows folder is set to root permission.

Last edited:
blueswitch said:
that looks interesting, but before I mess with using beta drivers to write to NTFS I kinda just want to get Ubuntu to read from it. my NTFS is not in fstab....so thats the problem but never added a drive before. Here is my disk -L output:

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/hda1 * 1 8713 69987141 7 HPFS/NTFS
/dev/hda2 8969 9733 6144862+ 83 Linux
/dev/hda3 8714 8968 2048287+ 82 Linux swap / Solaris

Partition table entries are not in disk order

I tried following a guide where it had me mkdir /media/windows to do it....but then the windows folder is set to root permission.

If you are worried about writing to theNTFS partition, then mount it as read only.
If you mount the filesystem type as ntfs-3g (NOT ntfs) the permissions should be correct.
dev/hda1 /mnt/windows ntfs-3g ro,user 0 0
Or something similar, should work in your fstab. Make sure you install ntfs-3g first ;)

well ntfs-3g worked....rebooted and it mounted no problem...don't know why it didn't work out of box...my desktop with 2 HDD's worked no problem with dapper

because its never worked out of the box. No need. If the user needs it, it will do it itself, what do you think this is windows?

dicecca112 said:
because its never worked out of the box. No need. If the user needs it, it will do it itself, what do you think this is windows?

no honestly when I put dapper on my desktop it saw the ntfs drive without modding fstab....it was an easy fix...I just was wondering why my laptop didn't do that. Oh well, it woks I can access my music, movies etc..on the windows partition all is right with the world. :beer:

it doesn't have automount built in. So installed internal hdds won't be read on installation, but externals are viewed like flash drives and usb drives are will be automount.

Back