• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Screen goes Black

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Powermedic

Registered
My Daughter was playing Ghost Recon the other night & got the message"Not enough memory in C drive, please run disk clean up. Well, she hit cancel & shut the machine off. Now when I boot up everything loads until my icons load on my desktop, then the monitor turns BLACK! I am running Win98, Athlon 1.2Ghz T-Bird. 2 40Gb hard drives. I have win98 partitioned in a 1Gb partition with approx. 150MB as a swap file. I also have 512MB ram. I am using this monitor with my other computer so I know it's not the monitor. Everything seems to boot up ok.......then Black. Pleeese Help! :)

Before he can though he will need to actually get into the machine. When you boot, press the F8 key right after the BIOS screen and go into safe mode. Do a defrag of the drives and if you have room THEN change your swap file size to something that works better.

RAM and HDDs are cheap right now...sounds like you have an excuse to spend the money without your wife's objections...:)

Anthony

Back