• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is it ok to use different brands?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

spamjam

I am in the process of doing a little upgrading to my system. I recently upgraded my video card from a X800GT to a 9600GT (XFX XXX Edition) and I am now looking on adding another gig of ram, currently have 1 gig. I currently have Patriot Signature Series 1GB (2 x 512MB). I am looking to go with either Corsair, OCZ or G.SKILL. Will this be ok, or should I just grab another Patriot set?

Thanks!

:welcome:

The best solution is usually to buy a new 2x1024 MB set and sell the 2x512.
Next best is to use all the same (since you know your motherboard likes that RAM)
Next is two different sets. While this usually works, there are some motherboards that will drop the timing to 2t mode (1t is faster) and there is a greater chance of incompatibilities.

If you do get a different set, try to get ones with the same CAS latency. all four sticks will run at the speed of the slowest pair.

That looks like a good choice.
Set up a signature so we can see the rest of your system so as to better make a recommendation based on motherboard and processor.

Thanks! specs in sig...nothing major. I've had it for about a year. All stock, runs all my games fairly well and it's served me well. Just got the video card in today and I love it. Runs CS:S on everything high, 4x AA, x16 AF @ 1440x900, get about 60-80 FPS. Runs BF2 on high better then my old video card. Can't really run it on everything maxed just yet, seems to lag because of memory. Reason for me wanting to get some more memory. Thanks for any recommendations! :D

I also have a Raidmax PSU, yeah I know...it's served me well for a year but I'm looking to upgrade that as well. Can anyone also recommend me a good power supply for a decent price. Kind of on a budget, thanks!

Well, I am not here to pimp so I won't make a recommendation. I would suggest reading the PSU reviews at JONNYGURU and go from there. I personally trust his reviewing methods better than any others I see currently.

Back