• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

WC/Partial Rig Revamp.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
That is an excellent setup. Great job with all the routing. I have one nitpick though, and fixing this will help you in the long run: You've got way too much thermal paste on that CPU, and it's applied incorrectly.

With an IHS, you want one small drop of thermal paste in the center of the IHS before mounting. Before applying this, you'll also want to clean the IHS and block with alcohol, then wipe both clean with a lint-free cloth. For the block and IHS, you should take a small amount of thermal paste and work it into the surface (with your finger in a plastic bag), then wipe the excess off with a lint-free (and very clean! as in new!) cloth. Then, apply the rice-grain-sized drop of thermal paste to the CPU.

It's a common mistake, but applying the paste correctly can get you much better temps in the long run. See the AS page on this:

http://www.arcticsilver.com/ins_route_step2amdas5.html

EDIT: Ooops, here's that "lost" first post..

aaronjb said:
For the block and IHS, you should take a small amount of thermal paste and work it into the surface (with your finger in a plastic bag), then wipe the excess off with a lint-free (and very clean! as in new!) cloth.
I don't believe you're supposed to "tint" the IHS or the heat sink when using AS5 - that's for Ceramique types only ... ;)

QuietIce said:
I don't believe you're supposed to "tint" the IHS or the heat sink when using AS5 - that's for Ceramique types only ... ;)

I stand corrected... been using Ceramique for awhile now, but I never knew that wasn't the practice with AS5. Ooops. :)

But I still think the OCNewBee could benefit from a removal and re-application of AS5.

hmmmmm, Never new that so just concentrate on the center of the heat spreader instead of the entire top surface of it. Makes sense i gues well off comes the old past on with a new coat. But they only say apply AS5 to the center of the cpu like you said a grain size of rice, well actually 3/4 of b BB. I guess when i apply the CPU block to the top twist it left then right about 2degrees then mount down. I got nothing to loose i should try it out. Thanks for point this out to me i would of never known this.:beer: Final pics are coming soon.

Back