Name this type of switch...

A 360 rotary switch which closes the contacts on two terminals only when the wheel is turned.

Like the ones commonly seen on car CD players.

Google is not helping me yet.

Do you mean like the volume dial on a stereo, just turns around in circles with no stop? Try farnell I think this is what you mean, just turn infinately and send a strobe like signal
    Main Rig - Intel Core 2 Duo E4500 : Gigabyte EP35-DS3R : 8Gb Corsair XMS3 DDR3 10600 : Gigabyte GTX 460 : 80Gb - 80Gb - Win7 Pro -{Zoe}-
    Media Center - Intel Core 2 Duo E4500 : Gigabyte P35-DS3L : 2gb DDR2 6400 : Asus 9400GS : 160Gb - 1Tb - Win7 Pro -{Mary-v4}-
    Server - Athlon64 3500 : Compaq MB : 2Gb DDR 3200 : 1Tb(x4) - 320Gb - Ubuntu Server 64bit 8.04LTS -{Jenny}-

Server - Pentium 4 3.2 : Rocky SBC + backplane : 2Gb DDR 3200 : 40Gb - Ubuntu Server 8.04LTS -{Suzie}-
    Lappy - Pentium M 755 : 2Gb DDR 3200 : 80Gb - Win7 Pro/Ubuntu/Win XP -{Bonnie}-

Helpful Senior Member Captain Slug's Avatar
    Do you want a volume control can also turn the radio off (clicks when turned all the way to the left)? That's a Switch Potentiometer, and they'll have 2 extra leads that the switch function turns on when you start turning it to the right. The resistance level of the switch is not modified once turned on.

If you want something that you have to turn 360 degrees before it toggles on or off then you need a rotary switch. But that won't have the resistance of a potentiometer so it won't be able to adjust volume or voltage.
    Quote Originally Posted by tyler_bishop
    That doesn't really provide anything useful so I'm not sure why you posted it.
    ||[ Oni is a bot! ]-[ My Heatware]-[ In the event of an emergency, the nearest senior member may be used as a floatation device. ]||

Melting the Minnesota snow with the hot exhaust from a lappy folding for Team 32!
    I think he is referring to a continuous rotary switch. Pioneer and Sony like to use them for Volume controls. This one from Farnell is probably the closest. It's not exactly what he describes , but is what is used. It doesn't close any contacts. It's an optical interrupter just like is used for the mouse wheel sensors. It sends a pulse to a circuit when it is rotated in either direction. That circuit reads if the pulse is positive or negative in most cases to determine direction and the number of pulses determines speed.

To my knowledge(admittedly limited), there are no continuos rotaries that use physical contacts. They are all based on optical interrupters. They act as a sensor for a switch circuit...not as a switch.

Thanks for the infos.

http://www.mouser.com/catalog/628/1295.pdf

"rotary encoder"

Even better.... "incremental encoder"

They use 'gray code' to determine direction.
    Last edited by Propaganda; 01-04-07 at 01:01 AM.