• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

18x sata dvd burner 40$

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
The PATA version is supposed to be a good drive.

I ordered one so I just wasted $40 or hopefully it will turn out to be a hard drive. Can't be worse than the one I'm using now, it is taking like more than an hour to burn a DVD!!

yog said:
Can't be worse than the one I'm using now, it is taking like more than an hour to burn a DVD!!

Has it always been that slow? The NEC drive in your sig is a decent drive and should write an entire disk in less than 10 minutes at 8x...

g0dM@n said:
then there are mobos with EXTRA sata ports, where they could have 8 sata ports on the mobo. 4 are one chipset, and the other 4 are a diff sata chipset. in that case, it may depend on which chipset you're hooked up to. one set may not require the sata driver, and the other set may require the F6 sata driver in windows installation. again, it all depends on the mobo's build...
That's what my board's got. The NF4 chipset has four SATA ports, then theres an additional four ports that are run off of another chip. I've never used those other ones, but I can tell you that I boot off of the SATA drive all the time with no problems. I just hit F8 to load the boot manager and the SATA drive comes right up. Windows installs don't need any special drivers or anything. The only issue is in DOS cause it doesn't have SATA support.

Pinky said:
SATA is an acronym and should be pronounced S-A-T-A . We don't call the CIA "See-a".
Like the man says. Have you seen "The Good Shepherd"? There's a great line at the end where Matt Daemon's assistant says to him “A senator asked me why we never use the word ‘the’ when we’re talking about CIA. I said to him, ‘Do you use the word “the” when you’re talking about God?'" :D

Pinky said:
Has it always been that slow? The NEC drive in your sig is a decent drive and should write an entire disk in less than 10 minutes at 8x...

Yea I think mine is faulty. It takes forever to rip a movie (as in as long as the movie is), takes forever to write a disk, and it squeaks sometimes. I am in need of a new drive!

yog said:
Yea I think mine is faulty. It takes forever to rip a movie (as in as long as the movie is), takes forever to write a disk, and it squeaks sometimes. I am in need of a new drive!
RMA it! No need to waste money on a new drive when your old one broke under warranty (I assume its under warranty)!

yog said:
i've had a NEC 3550a (or was it the 3540a) go bad on me, and had to RMA to newegg... it would always fail burn a DVD

i ended up buying the same one again a few months ago and again on the same computer (my 3800+ rig in sig) it fails burn DVDs!!! i tried a diff IDE cable, AND tried another IDE slot, and still same crap... even tried a diff molex.

for that reason, I'm weary of buying NEC again... I've now been buying Samsung and wouldn't mind going for a BenQ to try out in the future.

So... I'm in the same boat... send it back!! I gotta still send my back but I've been lazy... to NewEgg that is.

I just got my drive and it seems to be a pretty good. Comes with Nero 6, and the lightscribe software. Anybody else have any comments on it?

Make sure you look get the latest lightscribe driver (it's independent of the drive and windows manages this feature separately):

http://www.lightscribe.com/downloadSection/windows/index.aspx

I use the Surething software offered on that download page to create labels and it does a pretty decent job (for free).

Also be sure to check to see if there's a new firmware for the burner. Firmware updates can make/break the ability of the drive to write well to certain media.

MadMan007 said:
If you get a Samsung 18x drive it is strongly recommended you find the non-official firmware on cdfreaks.com forum for it. The 18x Samsungs have a defect when using DVD-R and maybe other media where they write too large of a blank lead-in whish makes the disks all but unreadable. None of the official Samsung firmwares as of last week fix this.

i have the same drive, omg im having the same problem it fully burns the DVD-R but the disk but cant read but when i use DVD+R it works

Back