• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Crashed, and now wont get past Booting Kernel, no live cd either

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hitbyaprkedcar7

Okay, so my install of Ubuntu 6.10 x64 just, died. I woke up to find it very unresponsive and slow, so i figured firefox was eating away at my memory and page file again (it tends to eat up all of my 2gigs of ram after a while of being open) so i clicked on my shortcut to open system monitor and left for work. Came back, it was locked up, so i rebooted. It wouldnt get past the Booting Kernel, or whatever it says, i cant remembe right now.

So i popped in a live CD, it wouldnt load up. Got to the boot part, and then it unpacked the kernel, and then it stopped at the same thing and wouldnt boot the kernel

I think one of my hard drive that had my ubuntu install died, as i dont feel it spinning up anymore when i power it on. So i unplugged it and just used the other two, and still no go. I even tried just one

Any ideas?

Sounds like you've experienced a hardware failure. If you can still boot into Windows, then I'd say the hard drive is kaput.

I don't have experience with Ubuntu - can you load a "rescue mode" from the boot CD and try to run some diagnostics on the hard drive?

Back